QUESTION: How to Cut a Wall into Small Vertical Parts (10cm)?

Hirnsausen

Hi, I have a wall, and need to cut it into small parts, some getting a glass texture then, and some others a metallic window frame texture. I have to do this, because a (rounded) roof does not cut regular windows. Because of that, regular windows would exceed a curved roof.

I can cut walls, of course, but not to the narrow size I need for the "window frames" of 10 cm width. The smallest I can cut, is around 30 cm. Any suggestions how to make CAX7 allowing me to cut smaller? Thanks.

I tried before to do it with slabs, but other users here in this forum suggested to use the WALL element, as this is cut by my curved roof. Windows are not cut by a roof and would exceed my curved roof at some places. Thus their suggestion to cut the wall into many partitions and make the wider ones to a "glass shower" and make the narrow ones to the vertical frames in between.

Illustration: window element exceeding the curved roof.

post-7993-0-15411200-1446349907_thumb.jpg

I tried Windows-Shape-MatchRoof, but that didn't give me a window matching my curved roof. But what i finally did, is to create a "Glass Shower" wall, and to use slabs as posts. I had to be exact, so their ends would be inside the roof. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

But I still feel the need to extend my question: how to configure CAX7, that the "Snap" behavior changes (that the ends of the slabs can be dragged with the mouse into the roof thickness, instead of ending below or way above the roof)? Same with cutting: how to male CAX7 allowing me, to cut NARROW pieces of a wall (instead of 30cm wide)?

You can also try making the wall a railing. Check "stop at ceiling above" in the structure tab, set the railing and post heights to the highest point of the wall, and use panel rail style with no raised bottom panel. Use glass for the panel material, and use post size/spacing/material as your window frames. 

I've done this for a screened patio with a shed roof (single pitch) and it worked well for renderings. My screen and frames followed the pitch of the roof. I haven't tried it with a curved roof or glass instead of screen, but it should work.

You can also try making the wall a railing. Check "stop at ceiling above" in the structure tab, set the railing and post heights to the highest point of the wall, and use panel rail style with no raised bottom panel. Use glass for the panel material, and use post size/spacing/material as your window frames.

I've done this for a screened patio with a shed roof (single pitch) and it worked well for renderings. My screen and frames followed the pitch of the roof. I haven't tried it with a curved roof or glass instead of screen, but it should work.

really appreciate your assumed workflow to help the op achieve what he wanted, I tried your method and couldn't figure out exactly, but any way thanks for the heads. Frankly speaking it is your way that led me to figure out a bit different work flow. Just an open railing combined with glass shower wall. Though not sure this is the exact enquiry of the op.

Hey op, is it some thing like this? Does that help. Not using X7 actually, one step down.

post-2517-0-65772500-1446769695_thumb.jpg

post-2517-0-33236300-1446769723_thumb.jpg