QUESTION: What 3D file formats of furniture can I import, and how?

Hirnsausen

Yes, that helps to some degree. I can see the imported item now in the camera view. But on the plan view, I cannot see the imported ring table.

Is there a trick to make the ring table visible on the plan view, too? That would make it much easier to adjust the item, to rotate it, and to scale it. Thanks.

As I have mentioned, the imported object is too small for you to see in plan view, ortho view tends to fill the screen that's why you can see it.

Adjust the size of the object from 1mm (0.001 m) to 2000 mm (2 m) (aspect ratio must be turned on)

Here is my plan file of the current stage. Use the CAMERA tool to look at the round area inside my livingroom, then you will see the item. But back in plan view, you can't see it. The item has a diameter of 2 meters (6 feet), around the same diameter as the round cut-out area.

http://www.BigTingsAGwaan.com/d/BowRoofMetric.rar

This file only shows a 2D CAD block - no 3D symbol or other geometry.

I think, one of the problems (but not the major one) is that my understanding of the terms is different. For me,a symbol is a 2-dimensional think. Like a sign, or a drawing on paper. That is, why I, as a non-English person, find it so hard to work with the terms CAX7 comes along.

But what I want, is to import a .skp file in a way, that it is a truly three-dimensional item, like a door, window, wall, cabinet and such. I can import it, change the importable measures to "m" (meter), and can see it big inside the camera view, even rotate it there. But only there. I need to be able to see it in the plan view.

So, the question is still and now as before, IF things can be imported into CAX7 as three-dimensional items, how to do that? How to get geometry? That is still the question...

Chiefer: thank you so much. I was finally able to use the ring table! But please let me know, piece by piece, how exactly you did import that .3ds file into CAX7. What were the options you used during that import dialog? I need to know, as I have more items to import, and want to do that by myself. I need to learn. :-)

Chiefer: thank you so much. I was finally able to use the ring table! But please let me know, piece by piece, how exactly you did import that .3ds file into CAX7. What were the options you used during that import dialog? I need to know, as I have more items to import, and want to do that by myself. I need to learn. :-)

Why don't you try another symbol first. I still can't figure out for the life of me why you are having such a hard time in the first place. Maybe you just picked a bad symbol to start with...or maybe a major detail is getting miscommunicated in translation. Importing SKP files shouldn't be too hard to do. As long as you are using Chief Architect version X7 and are actually importing SKP files, and are getting them from the 3D warehouse there shouldn't be a whole lot of variables. I've had minor issues in the past with textures and sizing, but never anything like what you've described.

Hirnsausen The steps have already been written down for most of these. You are dealing with some pretty advanced features when you start talking about resizing and modifying a symbol but maybe the online documentation will help:

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00117/importing-a-3d-symbol-from-an-outside-source.html

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00809/converting-an-object-into-a-symbol.html

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01192/creating-a-custom-cabinet-symbol.html

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01808/creating-a-custom-door-symbol.html

These articles all touch on different aspects of importing objects into the library as usable symbols.

Hi everyone, and my big gratitude for all your assistance and good intentions. I spent the last days on completing that 3D object (ring table) and wasn't been, therefore, often online.

As usual, I uploaded the file(s) as compressed RAR archive:

http://www.BigTingsAGwaan.com/d/BowRoofMetric.rar

The object is a ring-shaped table, but also much more than that: it is also a lowered area in the ground (a circular area with 5 meters diameter), in which a couch set and multimedia set are placed. Looks neat. This set has to be placed touching the corner of a room.

I still seem to have these funny, unnecessary problems during import. Maybe, one of my ancestors did something unspeakably terrible, and he and all his children over generations got condemned. Maybe that's the reason I got these stupid problems here, who knows. Frustrating...

And the really strange thing is, that each time I try to import, i get a different (wrong) result. Sometimes the imported 3D symbol is totally flat like a 2D image, sometimes I cannot see it on the plan view but only in the camera view, and so on.

I will read through the documentation, thanks. :-)

I still have problems, unbelievable. But I made screenshots of each stage of importing (screenshots 1 to 13), maybe you then can see what is done in a wrong way.

The problem is still, that I cannot see my item on the plan view, thus I cannot adjust its angles and positioning. It only shows in the camera view.

If other people import and send me their plan file (screenshot 14), I can see that it must be possible to import it properly Just - how?

SCREENSHOTS

My own attempt:

post-7993-0-32468600-1447521907_thumb.jpgpost-7993-0-89165200-1447521925_thumb.jpgpost-7993-0-47410700-1447521945_thumb.jpgpost-7993-0-68059100-1447521969_thumb.jpgpost-7993-0-41538300-1447521985_thumb.jpgpost-7993-0-42649100-1447522001_thumb.jpgpost-7993-0-27176200-1447522017_thumb.jpgpost-7993-0-32941000-1447522034_thumb.jpgpost-7993-0-97503200-1447522049_thumb.jpgpost-7993-0-54100800-1447522068_thumb.jpgpost-7993-0-38158100-1447522085_thumb.jpgpost-7993-0-31135400-1447522104_thumb.jpgpost-7993-0-73290200-1447522120_thumb.jpg

Someone else did it successfully:

post-7993-0-60137400-1447522139_thumb.jpg