How to create a wall with an angled cut top when there's no roof?

JohnnyDio

Hi, guys!

I'm using the X6 version. I wanna create two walls that have an angled cut on the top. Please, understand that I'm NOT trying to creat an angled wall. What I want is a straight up vertical wall the has different heights on different points, and therefore a chamfer like top to link them. I made a "drawing" of what it should look like.

I know that when you make roofs, these angles appear automaticaly, but I wanna make this kind of wall in a room that has no roof at all. Is it possible? Thanks a lot!

post-8353-0-79736100-1446053186_thumb.png

You might be able to take a cross section camera view of the wall select it in elevation and drag one of the sides down

Thanks, buddy! It worked! Actually, even in the regular full camera it was possible to do it. Unfortunately, it isn't possible to determine the exactly height, but it ended up just like I wanted! Thanks a lot!

Thanks, buddy! It worked! Actually, even in the regular full camera it was possible to do it. Unfortunately, it isn't possible to determine the exactly height, but it ended up just like I wanted! Thanks a lot!

Johnny glad to help and that it worked out for you

In cross section you can put a temporary line at  the floor level > use transform/replicate > copy 1 > move in Z Delta ( desired height) and drag the wall to that line and you will have exact height.

What I would do is put an actual roof on it!  I'd put a roof that's just the width of the roof, with the "eave" at the low side, and edit to the roof plane to have the kind of minimal framing etc that a wall cap could have.

I think this is the most versatile solution,  however Wendy did not go far enough in her explanation.  After the roof (the temporary roof) is on,  take a back clip cross section,  and then in elevation view,  alter the top of the wall.  Make it 2' taller,  release,  make it 2' shorter (back to original height) ,  now the wall height is NOT A DEFAULT HEIGHT,  you can now remove the roof and the top of wall will stay static.

Here's a file demonstrating use of a Roof Plane to cap an exterior demising wall.  

Roof planes:

• edited the livin' crap out of them to minimize framing.
  • roof surface made thicker - concrete for roof and for any remaining sliver of "framing".  'cause that's kinda what they use to cap a brick demising wall.  (ps, you know those concrete capped portions of an exterior fireplace structure?  Roof plane works here too.  Build brick housing using a single wythe brick wall, or brick on CMU - whatever is appropriate to actual structure).

Note that in this example I was not successful getting correct continuous brick when the demising wall was flush with the facade of the building.  Maybe somebody else can slay that dragon?

Interior - ask yourself what caps that wall?  is it drywall?  OK fine, make your "roof" have a 1/2" roof surface, drywall.  Is it wood trim?  OK fine - 3/4" and make the material match your trim.

And yes - you can force wall to be Manual top" and then remove the roof plane.  You have to weigh benefit of having "roof" plane vs not.

angled wall cap.zip

Here's a file demonstrating use of a Roof Plane to cap an exterior demising wall.  ......

Great solution by Wendy to get a cap on the wall.  Looks real good in 3D.  

However, in this particular example,  the brick did  not wrap around the end of the wall.  If the wall was on the interior of the house,  the brick wraps,  if the wall is on the outside,  the brick does not wrap.  Hey CA,  why doesn't the brick wrap around the end of the exterior wall.

I sent this to Brian,  maybe he will address this issue.

post-50-0-51139300-1446297939_thumb.png

Thank you Mr. Troll!  That was my next step, sending in as a "bug" - 'cause it sure was feeling buggish to me!  Thanks for the relay leg!

I even made that exterior wall "balloon" - but it didn't.  In an annoying paradox, we'll have the walls for a basement bulkhead entrance extend up to the roof above when the roof overhang is a mere 12".  Yet this gap of about 12" - no bueno.

And it's actually  more annoying.  In the exterior example, the brick wraps in 3D but not 2D.  When the wall is interior and T's off at the exterior wall - no wrap.  No matter how I configure wall breaks, balloon orders, custom editing of wall connection - cannot get a clean demising wall in 3D.

Sending it in as an addendum to yours!  

post-2715-0-04438100-1446299478_thumb.png

Wendy,

A bit off topic from sloping wall caps, but relevant to wall end caps problems.

This is based on your plan.

Note the 2 small horizontal walls and the other walls on the old left hand room - end capped, but not in a room.

Have a play and move them, break them, etc, and see what happens.

Delete the room def on the room to the right - end caps disappear.

Delete the foundation - end caps disappear.

Some weird stuff going on.

Glenns angled wall cap.zip