SSA Late Fee. Is SSA Required?

BAGrant

I thought SSA was a fee paid to access certain libraries, videos, and tech support. not a membership fee.. 

AIBD and NAHB has late fee for Memberships... Gee Wiz!!! I need clarity.

The Email I received

Please Note:
If your SSA expires, a $95 late fee will be applied and the one-year SSA period will begin from the time of renewal. If a new version has since been released, then you are subject to regular upgrade pricing. Upgrade pricing fees can be found on www.ChiefArchitect.com.

The information on CA Website:

Chief Architect offers Support & Software Assurance (SSA) on an annual basis. SSA is included with all new purchases. It is optional to renew after the first year.

Support & Software Assurance provides the following benefits:

• Updates, Major Releases and New Versions
  • Priority Technical Support
  • Over 500 Online Training Videos
  • Download Library Catalogs
  • Discounted Training Seminars
  • Discounts on Secondary Licenses

• 2 months later...

So just owning a copy of CA is now a "membership"? Tsk. I find that disappointing, considering there is no real "liability" to the public involved just for using the software. I can understand a late fee for a state or federal "license" but just for owning software??? I could be wrong but maybe people don't let it lapse and wait until they need something...probably do it because they don't have the funds. It is quite a nice chunk of change. Maybe CA should consider  a payment plan like Softplan offers. I don't know. Right now,  I have no choice but to let mine lapse. I have bigger fish to fry...called federal business taxes and liability/E&O insurance just to name a few. They will take first budget priority. So then at the end this month, I'll pay for the renewal plus the pleasure of a "late fee".

If you are operating a business then the SSA fee is peanuts, equates to about $1.35 per day, less than a coffee!! Not a bad deal considering how crucial this software is to my business. Having access to ongoing software updates and additional libraries benefits both myself and clients. The fee also provides Chief with additional funding to support software development, which if you monitor this forum, is being requested almost every minute of the day.

I make money using Chief and Chief makes money by me using Chief, looks like capitalism is working the way it was intended. If the SSA fee is such a burden then there's a problem in the 1st part of this equation!!!

Graham

My annual SSA fee is part of my business budget, as are taxes, equipment, etc. that are (to me) an essential part of making a living. If I did not think Chief was using that money to improve their product on an annual basis I would not pay and look for another software provider. This has not been an issue and I will happily pay a small portion of one job per year to stay current.

Ah, so that is why my cost jumped to $540.

I find penalties destructive in a vendor/customer relationship and have a few comments: 

- If there is to be a penalty, make sure there is a reminder system in place (at least in my case I did not get one), only an email saying I need to upgrade before Jan 11 or prices would jump.

- Have at least a 30 day grace period. Mine ran out Dec 13 and I was traveling most of December

- Not aware of penalties like this on any of my other software, but if I renew it does attach to where I left it, so really no point in waiting unless I doubt the software going forward. 

My last batch of reminders started at least 1-1/2 months ahead of time- there were several, each listed the late penalty.

I've yet to find a good time for a bill to come in from anyone but have no complaints. I think support is worth the cost and the "software assurance" is a great deal given the rate of improvement in the program.

Ah, so that is why my cost jumped to $540.

I find penalties destructive in a vendor/customer relationship and have a few comments: 

- If there is to be a penalty, make sure there is a reminder system in place (at least in my case I did not get one), only an email saying I need to upgrade before Jan 11 or prices would jump.

- Have at least a 30 day grace period. Mine ran out Dec 13 and I was traveling most of December

- Not aware of penalties like this on any of my other software, but if I renew it does attach to where I left it, so really no point in waiting unless I doubt the software going forward.

Hm..........I received a notice that mine expires Feb 24 2016, but I could renew early and get a discount to which I responded if I renewed early, that would mean my SSA would then be good until Feb 24 2017 to which CA sales responded that is correct. I need to save $50 so I renewed just now on the phone and already have my receipt showing my SSA good until Feb 24, 2017.

I think the fee is reasonable.  Mine also comes at a bad time of year, 12/26...Merry Christmas.

I too struggle with the renewal basing it on what is included and how much effect it will have

on my business.  In this area of the country (suburban Philadelphia) remodeling has been

cut throat and getting reasonable prices for work is difficult.  I did renew however and am hoping

things pick up.  Projects take a while from first phone call to signed and ready to start.  And now the market

takes a dive.....;o(

Oh and I did get SEVERAL notices ahead of time.

Just in case I started something I just want emphasize that I have nothing against the fee itself, it's Chief's product and it's up to them to charge for it however they want.

I do think the $95 penalty for missing to renew it could be handled a bit differently though, most easily by just attaching the renewed SSA where the old one left off. Really no need for a slap on the fingers.

As for the reminders I did search back can't seem to find any reminder beyond the mail saying I need to renew before Jan 11 or it will jump up another $50. Then again, I do get a ton of email so I guess I must have missed it.

the reason for the "slap" is to prevent users from letting SSA lapse

then when an upgrade arrives jumping back on the wagon

CA needs the SSA fees to pay for development costs etc

in my view if you are in business then paying for SSA and keeping it active is a no-brainer

Lew

Well,  I am not saying it is not worth it. Chief isn't the only major software my company uses. I also have 3D solid modeling engineering software. We design various things, investigate, inspect and consult on other projects among other things. In this economy maintaining a good budget is necessary as well as is cash flow for the unexpected.  However,  at this time, there are simply other factors that, sad to say are a bit more important right now than the SSA. I am renewing, it will just have to wait a few weeks. :unsure:

I think it's important to note that SSA is not required if you're 100% satisfied with the Chief version you're using.  The SSA is really for people who want the best from Chief at all times, including the concierge technical support if you run into bugs that can cost your business money.  I think it's understandable that Chief has a base line renewal fee to help pay for their own product development, and that they pro-rate the fee according to how long ago your SSA expired.  

If you paid your SSA to get X6, and then only paid again now in anticipation of being able to get X8 when it came out without the fee being higher, then you would be skipping over paying for any development of X7, which was an essential task that needed to be done (and funded) in order for X8 to ever come out.  It makes sense that you would be paying the extra vs if you kept up your subscription.

I think you should just budget for your SSA if you take Chief seriously.