Distance from door edge to wall corner

DianneDSC

Go to solution Solved by GeneDavis,

Is there a way to control the minimum distance from the edge of a door to a wall corner other than enlarging the casing? I'd like to have 6 1/2" frame to door jamb but have 3 1/4" casing without having to manually adjust the location with dimensions. I can do this by enlarging the casing to 5 3/4" but do not want such large casing - just want more space.

Thanks.

• Solution

Or as you probably know, control the placement by casing width, using the wide casing that locates your jammed door correctly, then select all doors placed thusly, and change their casing widths.

Chief does not have an auto-placement feature such as what you may want, but you can go on the Suggestions forum and make your case.

Thanks Gene. I'll post to the suggestion forum as I'm sure this will be very helpful for others. I love that when I insert a door in the corner of a room there is a set minimum dimension that is used...just needs to be separate setting from the casing size. 

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...
23 hours ago, NewLeafHomeDesig said:

Would really like the trimmer defaults to control the placement of the door rather than the casing width.

If I am understanding what you want, you can set this up in your defaults. Or open the dimension default you are working with and change it temporarily.

Locate objects defaults.jpg

53 minutes ago, glennw said:

I am sure there used to be a setting where you could specify the minimum distance a door is placed from a corner wall.

The only thing I can think of that's similar is General Plan Defaults / Ignore Casing for Opening Resize. This will nicely allow a door's casing to butt up to the drywall layer, but not the inverse. A wall can still be moved to cover the casing. 

I do mostly interior trim any more - so when I draw a hall with a 36" door at the end I make the hall 3'11 not 48" - 2 king studs and a cripple will give 5 1/2" per side x 2 + 36 = 3'11

so I frame all my closets etc over by 11" , 5 1/2 each side