Default layer fpr Closet Shelves?

ACADuser

What Shelf Default?

Only one I could find is in a Cabinet & is not the layer used for closet shelves.

Chief Architect only has one Shelf Default.  You can find it in the Cabinets section of the Default Settings dialog. 

Assuming that you are creating your closet shelves using the Shelf tool, the same one that is found under the Cabinets tool in the Build menu, then this is the correct default to modify.  If you are creating closet shelves using some other tool, then you would need to give me more details about what you are doing.

If all you are trying to change is the layer, you can also use the Layer Eyedropper and Layer Painter tool.

This all started because the builder wants all Furniture turned off in the section views.

Well the shelves are on the Furniture layer.

Now I see the Table lamps are on electrical which I want lamps OFF but switches & all built in electrical showing.

With the lamps in Architectural Blocks this too has become a PITA.

There are a bunch of ways to do what you want. In your attached picture, there is a Layer tab. Open that and select a different layer.

Or, use the layer painter, select a layer, and then "paint" your items with that layer. What you're trying to do is part of my every day workflow and I don't have any problems with it ( only exception that comes to mind is gutters). If the above things don't work, please attach a plan.

It's the Shelf w/ closet rod.

Joe it will not work, saved in user catalog & still inserts with original layer, not the new layer set in plan.

It works for me.  You must be doing something different.  I placed one from the Library, edited it's Layer to "Shelves" and added it to the user Library (used the tool on the edit toolbar.  

Now every one that I add from the User Library is on the "Shelves" Layer.

Yes, it's an X8 vs. X7 thing.  Maybe we need to remind some of our beta testers what an NDA is?  :)

The shelf tool uses the shelf defaults.  A shelf symbol placed from the library does not.  This was not clear in your original question.

In X7, we only store striped down symbol objects in the library.  This means that you will lose some of the attributes that you can set while it is in a plan.  Layer is an example, but label info is another.

In X8, library objects will keep all of their attributes.

1. Change the layer of the shelf as desired. 2. Shift select the object and then make an architectural block. 3. Adjust layer 4. Now add to the library. 5. After importing from library and unblocking the Architectural Block the layer remains

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a dynamic shelf tool?

Actually, this image shows the dynamic shelf tool that you can adjust the layer. It is not the shelf and pole. That is found in the library. I gave you a library item and the only thing that changes after importing is that you click one button to unblock the shelf from the library import layer thing trick. Get back to work. You live in the sunshine state. Have a glass of orange juice.

BTW, I worked in Bradenton for a year in an animation studio run by a couple of "interesting" character. At least one was recently convicted of fraud of some sort. Good times.

post-170-0-80897000-1445871034_thumb.jpg