Laser Distance Measurer

Ridge_Runner

Doing much more remodeling work for one of my builders than I ever have for some reason. I find I could really use a good laser tape measure. I have an old ultrasonic device, but it is outdated and not very accurate - useless really. I realize trying to get a "best" is probably like which is better: Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, BMW (maybe not!). That said, what are some of you remodeling guys using that works for you? Primary concerns are accuracy, backlit display, functional in bright sun if possible. Price range: under $200 bucks if possible.

Thanks, Mike

Mike:

Yes, ALL sonic "laser" models are worthless

the laser is for visual only - not used in the measuring

I bought a Leica Disto Pro in 2005 for $700

soon after that they introduced $100 models sold under the Stanley name etc

I thought I needed all the fancy features the PRO offered

yet ended up using it in simple mode - I still have it and use it

I'm not up on the current models so shop wisely

and beware of feature it is....

Lew

I have a Ryobi and it works great. Back lit display. Finding that red dot in the sun is almost impossible past about 20'. I have not tried the yellow shooting type sunglasses for the outdoors. Most of the time, when shooting for an as built I am doing about 99% from the interior anyways. I do my as built drawings with a field sketch clip board. It holds an 11x17 sheet. I will sometimes use that to lean against an outside corner for the outside shots where I can't hook a tape.

I keep it very simple with my field measures and just shoot distance in inches. I hear all the time about tricky things your phone can do to measure a room. A guy I know came in singing about an app to get a rooms dimensions. We tried the room we were standing in and it was off by about 25% for a 9x13 room.

I recently bought a DeWalt DW030P Laser Distance Measurer

when I got tired of trying to use my trusty Stanley 25' PowerLock

without anyone around to hold the other end of the tape. Great

little unit accurate to 1/16". Easily calculate distance, area and

volume. As with most of these units outdoor daytime distance

measuring can be problematical but indoors it is great. Get one,

you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

Disto for me. The camera alone makes it worth the price. You can zoom to see exactly what you are measuring to. I use it all the time to see exact position for property lines outside on a sunny day, with most other devices, you can't see the little red dot.

http://www.appraiserslaser.com/laser-distance-meters/disto-distance-meters.html

I just watched the video demo of the Disto D5. Then I wiped the drool from my keyboard.

I know, that happened to me, so I purchased  it. With the black on white screen and the color camera ,I can actually read the numbers on the screen without a problem.  In the past, some of the other models were very hard to read correctly, of course I'm old and eyesight is questionable. No more mistakes with this one

Mike:

Yes, ALL sonic "laser" models are worthless

the laser is for visual only - not used in the measuring

I bought a Leica Disto Pro in 2005 for $700

soon after that they introduced $100 models sold under the Stanley name etc

I thought I needed all the fancy features the PRO offered

yet ended up using it in simple mode - I still have it and use it

I'm not up on the current models so shop wisely

and beware of feature it is....

Lew

Disto is the best but pricy. I baught the Sanley due to the fact that I do very little field measuring. I tested it against a Disto and the measurements were within a 1/16" goo enough for me.

Ron:

I think the  Disto  Plus can do 1/16" at 300'

the Stanley was 1/4" at 100'

If I remember correctly

way to many models since then to know what they can do

1/4" should be good for most measures

I would model to 1/16 then as needed accept up to 2" discrepancies

that couldn't be resolved

final plans were set to 1/2" or sometimes 1" depending on need

Lew

• Downvote 1

Ron:

I think the  Disto  Plus can do 1/16" at 300'

the Stanley was 1/4" at 100'

If I remember correctly

way to many models since then to know what they can do

1/4" should be good for most measures

I would model to 1/16 then as needed accept up to 2" discrepancies

that couldn't be resolved

final plans were set to 1/2" or sometimes 1" depending on need

Lew

Lew you did not read once again. Disto is better but much more expensive. I have 1 or 2 remodels a year the Stanley works just fine and I haven't remodeled Michael Jordons house so 300 feet isn't a problem.

Ron:

sorry I wasn't clear

but I was agreeing with you

the Disto Plus was overkill

If I had to do it again I would get the $100 Stanley

Lew

Thanks Lew. My draftsman has a Disto and it is great he does more remodels than I do. If it weren't for the price I would own a Disto. It would be great if Chief published their app for Android. It seems like the are catering to the MAC people. That Scott Hall has juice with them. He is a suckup and a looser at golf.

The choice to do iPad for room planner was made several years ago when it was the dominant platform. Today if we made the choice of which to do first it would more than likely be Android.

Dan,

When is room planner going to be available for Android? It would be nice to have it. Thanks.

Ron

better yet make Room Planner available for Windows Tablets..... there's still a few of us Windows Users out here :)

Back on topic ......I have one of the Bosch Laser measurer's but  think only the Disto can integrate with Chief Directly if that feature is needed.

M.

Thanks to all of you for your input. I have looked at all of the ones you mention (I think). The Disto would be great, but I am leaning toward the $100-150 price range; those mentioned that are accurate to 1/16" to 1/4" should do fine. Thanks again.

Mike

• 1 month later...

I am thinking about getting a new Disto.  With P.'s help I am sure I can find one.  The big feature is the auto leveling.  Auto leveling allows you to measure a true horizontal distance even if the line of sight is at an angle up to 45 degrees from horizontal.