Select Objects Problem?

ACADuser

OK, I copied rebar dowel blocks from the foundation to the 1st floor. There were no conflicts with windows & doors.

I then copied the blocks to the 2nd floor. This time some walls turn to frame & some overhangs also precluded the use of the rebar blocks.

So I need to select some of the blocks but not all to delete.

I know the ALL OFF Layer method but wouldn't it be nice if the "Match Properties" would allow a selection window and single picks?

And wouldn't it be nice if the "Match Properties" worked on all objects and in section views?

• Upvote 1

I thought I explained the situation.

Doesn't matter what you are selecting, you only want to select certain ones in the group.

The "Match Properties" will only select ALL.

For those who have used other software this is a clumsy way to select objects.

Yes, you explained it.  Unfortunately I still don't understand.  I'd like to help, but I'm just not following. 

It seems maybe you are trying to select a group of things but not all of that group.  Can you not just use match properties and then un-select what you don'tt need? Or perhaps select part of your group, block it, select another part, block that, and then block those 2?  

Without seeing your specific issue I'm just taking stabs in the dark.

I thought I explained the situation.

Doesn't matter what you are selecting, you only want to select certain ones in the group.

The "Match Properties" will only select ALL.

For those who have used other software this is a clumsy way to select objects.

Still don't know exactly what you are trying to do, but maybe you can elaborate...I have used other programs.  I actually can't stand how most of those select objects. 

Maybe if once you illustrate a little more clearly and if there is no reasonable solution given, you can explain how another program would select the objects in question? 

Thanks for your patience, I was off doing other work. Deadlines you know.

Here is a simple example, see picture.
ILO stairs I draw CAD limes, here in Red, to represent stairs over closets & such.
I have 3 sets of stairs so I want to move this set only 3 & 4 inches to the left.
In autocad I enter SEL at the keyboard then pick one object to get the layer property.
Then I can group select with marquee selection only those items within the marquee that match that layer.
Further more autocad will select based on the direction of the selection rectangle you marquee.
Pick right & then left it select all within & all touching that match the layer.
Pick Left & the Right and it select only those objects that are completely within the rectangle.

So all the other objects not on that layer are ignored completely.
How efficient is that?

post-2435-0-05148800-1445542050_thumb.png

Joe,
I use the Match Properties tool a  lot.
BUT, I want to select one group of CAD layer objects that reside on that floor.
Then to de-select the ones that I don't want is way too tedious.
The only way in CA to efficiently select is to turn all layers off & the the layer you want on and select what you want.
I obviously do not like this method but it is the only way.
Sorry, I'm Bitching again.

• Upvote 1

Hey Alan,

You can get essentially the same functionality in Chief with a couple extra clicks.  There might be a faster way, but here's what comes to mind...

1.  Make a copy of the layerset you're working with (maybe add SELECTION) to the name.

2.  Select the item you would like to move, click on Object Layer Properties, and make a note of the layer.

3.  Check the little box that says "show all layer"s, and then select them all and lock them.

4.  Unlock the layer(s) you're trying to select

5.  Make your marquee selection and do what you need to do with it.  I would personally take the opportunity to block those items as well.  If you're moving them once, chances are you're going to want to do it again.

I'm sure there are more efficient ways but that's what comes to mind.

I messed around with it a bit more and the closest thing I can figure is this...

1.  Make sure Active Layer Display is open (its the tool you will be using).

2.  Select one of the objects you're trying to marquee select (only the associated layers will display in you Active Layer Display)

3.  Left click in the name box of the appropriate layer to highlight the name, then right click, and copy.

4.  Make a copy of layerset (to make a new "working" layerset simply for the purpose of what we're about to do)

5.  Click back in the plan and hit spacebar to bring all the layers back up.

6.  Select all layers and lock them.

7.  Right click up in the Active Layer Display search bar and paste the name of the layer that was previously copied and unlock that layer

8.  Marquee select your objects

It sounds more complicated than it really is.  It really only takes a few seconds.  You might have to modify the technique a bit depending on what you're doing, but at least its a start.  Once you're done with your operation you can turn all the layers back on and go back to your original layerset. 

Here's a crappy video...

http://screencast.com/t/3FLKAjZnY3

Michael,

Good solution & I like the Video.

Thanks for your time. Now off to practice your method. :)

This has been an ongoing aggravation for me in CA knowing how easy it is a Autocad which I use every day.

So every time I used it in autocad I had bad thought about CA. Thanks for easing my burden.

Does Autodesk own that method? It is as slick and smart as one can get.... I use Datacad and yes complex selections are VERY easy through layers/colors.

But then again, to those at Chief, you should not be using CAD at all... hence the termination of it's development decades ago. But to their credit, in 3D there is much more overlapping of stuff so selection WILL be harder than 2D apps.

You can use the SHIFT key to add to or remove from a group selection. Both marquee and single click add or remove objects from a selection. CTRL also works, but overides some of the selection filters, such as if you are in wall or cabinet mode allowing for some rather powerful techniques.

For example if you want to delete everything from your plan but the walls.

Get into wall mode then marquee select the area you want to work with. This will select only the walls. But you want to get rid of everything else. So hold down the CTRL key and do a marquee select of the same area. This will add everything to the selection while at the same time removing the walls from the selection. Remember that click or marquee select will either add or remove items from the current selection. At this point you have everything selected except the walls. Hit delete and enjoy having only walls left in the plan.

It would be nice to have that sort of selection dependent on the "Left-Right" & "Right-Left" direction of how the marquee is created.  I recall that from ACAD many years ago and although we can switch modes by changing the setting in Preferences, it would still be nice to have the ability to do it just based on the direction of the marquee.

Michael,

Good solution & I like the Video.

Thanks for your time. Now off to practice your method. :)

This has been an ongoing aggravation for me in CA knowing how easy it is a Autocad which I use every day.

So every time I used it in autocad I had bad thought about CA. Thanks for easing my burden.

No problem.  FWIW, I wouldn't say I think its the best method.  Its just the closest I could figure to the same thing you described in AutoCAD.  The method Doug described is probably better for most things.

Another option:

1.  Make a copy of your layerset (for working purposes) if you don't already have one. 

2.  Use the layer hider to hide layers that are in your way

3.  Select your objects and Cut

4.  Switch back to your normal layerset

5.  Paste Hold Position.

Now all your items are selected an all your layers are on.