How many PDFs is too many?

Richard_Morrison

I have a project that is VERY documentation intensive (CalGreen, T24, Tree Protection, etc. etc.), and I am anticipating maybe 15 - 24x36 sheets with multiple PDFs on each sheet. Has anyone successfully handled such a project without huge slowdowns? Or should I be looking at more firepower for this one?

I put the Cal Green stuff (PDF)on just about every plan I do, and they have been 20 plus pages total. Haven't seen any problems yet, but it does take a while to print. Sometimes, if you have Adobe Acrobat , you can reduce the file size by re-saving it using the reduce file size option. I don't notice any difference in quality and works good.

I had a similar question regarding the number of PDF files that would be safe to use for 2D line drawing exported from other CAD programs and imported into Chief.  I called tech support and was told that the real issue would be if you used very large files, not so much about having quite a few relatively small files.  My files are actually fairly small and I have not had any problems so far.

There is a lot to like about PDF files, but I am still curious myself as to whether there is some type of ceiling that one should try to stay below regarding both file size and the number of files in general.