How to build exterior stairs that follow the terrain

Riemie

I would like to build exterior concrete steps up a steep, ever changing slope.  Is there a way to make stairs or solids follow the terrain?  It seems like I've done it before, but can't remember how.

Thanks,

Bob

Nope,  can't do it.....  however,  if you wait long enough,  Glenn might prove me wrong.

Like this! OOB settings of chief....blessings.

Am i right first?

Yusef does it again,  okay Yusef,  how did you do it.  

However,  I am with Joe on this one,  instead of the riser heights varying,  it would be better if the tread depth varied.

Come on Yusef,   please tell us how you did it.

Yusuf,

Your solution would work for my situation.  A fence was one thing I thought of to follow the terrain, but didn't have a clue how to apply it.  Thanks.

Joe, did you just use solids and use transform/replicate?  If so, I tried that but my terrain was changing too radically and seemed to be laborious.  If you used a different method, I'd be interested in knowing how you did it.

Thanks to you both.

Bob

Yusuf,

Those riser heights are not consistent - they vary height with varying terrain slope.

Glenn you are right and I couldn't realize when I found it could be done. A little thought of some workflow in chief can make us accomplish the task. Here is it! Hopefully OK. Shall I attach the plan or wait if some needs to tweak.Further more, I am thinking that it is very easy to accomplish it with normal stair, it will for sure. I will try it tomorrow.

post-2517-0-70867600-1444952732_thumb.jpg

Yusuf,

Still no consistent riser heights.

Sorry Glenn, actually wasn't expecting this response. I already mentioned the imperfection of the arithmetics. I was talking about the possibility and also forwarding you and other advanced users to think of any idea to get more control over this. But I am not advising all users to this method because I have already defined an easier workflow using the normal stair tools. Hopefully I will have the chance to get in to it after a while. But look at this plan, as you see the brown control and the actual riser heights. Shoot a cad detail and check the tolerance....but obviously a potential area of chief to research on.

post-2517-0-72208100-1445012475_thumb.jpg

stair follow terain reser controll.plan