Layout Questions

Paramount

Terry,

Your "Framing, Wall" Layer is set to a line weight of 25.  Select the view in the layout and go to its "Display Layers" dialog box and reduce the line weight to whatever you desire.  Also, its difficult to add notes and arrows onto the face of a layout... it is far better to take a wall section, convert it to a CAD detail, then add your notes and arrows.  This would also make it easier to modify line weights.

converting a section to cad detail means it is not going to update, keep it live . Add text and any cad lines you require then send to layout, easily able to adjust line wieghts and if you change the model it will update. My advice keep it all live where possible. Use the capabilities of CA as a 3D modelling package not a 2D draughting package. As a note there are always exceptions to every rule.

• Upvote 1

Graeme, thanks for that. I agree the CATIA programs I run for aircraft/auto are all MBDs (3D Model Based Definition) no drawing's. Big companies get tired of paying the drafting function, especially second generation. Might as well get use to it, it is coming to this industry. The few drawing's that still exist are WYSIWYG (3D bleeds to 2D). They have CAD details for ansi/SAE, etc.. standard parts that are in a library only....the days of using CAD details and symbols rare.  

As with autocad too I'm use to text, lines, dims, being in a tool bars as created and scaling views easier. Things are just in a different location in CA than most other programs I run I'm not use to. 

• 2 weeks later...

converting a section to cad detail means it is not going to update, keep it live . Add text and any cad lines you require then send to layout, easily able to adjust line wieghts and if you change the model it will update. My advice keep it all live where possible. Use the capabilities of CA as a 3D modelling package not a 2D draughting package. As a note there are always exceptions to every rule.

Anyone, why can I not pick stuff in the cross-section/elevation view to manual dimension or put text to it easy? As noted in the quote I want a method that updates my dimensions and/or views live or has a 3D/2D link if CA can do that? It is suggested above that I do all my dimensions in my plan, sections, views then send to lay out but I can't pick a darn thing in them? 

Also when I take views in my plan and save are they suppose to save too? Mine do not? 

post-5962-0-29739600-1446071296_thumb.jpg

ParaFlex_Vaulted_Moved.plan

Graeme, I'm taking backclipped cross section camera views. Give it a try then try and put a dimension using end-to-end of a rafter depth or angular dimension of rafter to soffit, the lines are not being detected or are pickable. I tried to increase the line weight up to 30 which looks way too thick so I have them all set a five, did not matter. 

Other software I use this is what happens to images, is that not what camera views basically are? Therefore we need to send them to layout or CAD details to fully explode them? 

Make sure the layer Cross Section Lines is turned on - it is the "default" layer on which CA creates special cross-section geometry that can be "found" by snaps (including dimensions), though it can't be selected.

Robert,

They CAN be selected - you just need to unlock that layer.

You can select them and edit them, but you need to move them to another layer if you want to keep the edits because each time the model rebuilds, the cross section lines on the Cross Section Lines layer regenerate. 

Robert,

They CAN be selected - you just need to unlock that layer.

You can select them and edit them, but you need to move them to another layer if you want to keep the edits because each time the model rebuilds, the cross section lines on the Cross Section Lines layer regenerate. 

So obvious. Thanks for the correction.

I unlocked everything and turned on all displays except labels and end-to-end or angle dimension at close proximity such as dimension a rafter or stud disappear and will not create. I had some limited success with long dimension that would not attach to lines I tried to pick rather found something it could attach to. It seems to be having the same problem in layouts or on plans. Manual dimensions works somewhat put throw a bunch of dimensions stacked on one another. 

I'd appreciate it if someone would load the plan I attached try it to see what I am talking about. I must have some setting off. 

I saved the backclipped view when CA asked how do I bring it back up? Where did it go? 

ParaFlex_Vaulted_Moved.plan

Template (Wall Layout).layout

Terry,

Your camera is on the Cameras layer - turn that layer on.

I am not sure what you are trying to do with dimensions.

I gather from your earlier posts that you may be trying to dimension objects and place text in the layout view.

This is the incorrect method. All dimensioning and text should be done in the original view - NOT layout.

I see that you have placed text in the section detail (page 1 of layout). This I would NOT do. Place the text in the camera view itself.

If you want to do a Skype session so that I can see what you are trying to do, let me know.

Glenn, see attached. The arrows are drawn with lines. Load the plan take a backclipped at any rafter. I am trying to dimension a rafter depth using the end-to-end tool but no section lines are being detected....Temp dimension extension lines appear than disappear. All locks are off all layers turned on. 

A skype session sounds awesome! If you have time this weekend? I was just pointing my labtop CAM at my monitor last night showing someone the design is the only way I know of. I may be looking for some hired online support since this learning curve is longer than I had thought and I need to get his done asap. Powerful software just does things different than I am use to like layers and filters and I do this all day on CATIA, CADAM, Autocad now for decades. 

I design aircraft at a firm all day, homes at night and weekends. I'm in the Central US in Wichita, KS time zone. My email is Terrylport@gmail.com if anyone is interested. 

post-5962-0-47901800-1446204540_thumb.jpg

post-5962-0-63165000-1446204856_thumb.jpg

Like the OP, I have found placing dimensions in live sections in Chief extremely difficult and frustrating. I know you can use the Point to Point dimension tool that will place markers (yuk!), or Chief will place markers for you if you use the other dimension tools, but then these dimensions will not update if the model changes, so in that respect you gain nothing over a CAD detail.

If someone has found a way to do this easily and consistently, I, for one, would appreciate getting that information.

Perhaps someone could post a video???

Thanks

Well, not a video but....do you provide framing plans or a note on a roof plan that calls out that rafter size? Simple place a note that says something to effect of...

S.P.F. #2 OR BTR 2"X8"

RAFTER @ 16" O.C.

Save that note to your library with the rest of your notes and move on. I learned the hard way to not fight the program.

Joey, I am using a rafter as an example to illustrate a short distance issue using end-to end dimensioning not as a final means to develop my layout.

I see I am spoiled by the CATIA V6 software I run for corporate. I can also see why it cost $25,000/license and yearly maintenance fees corporate not I can afford. It establishes links or constraints between 2d and 3d geometry. All of the dimension tool functions find the lines, points, etc with no effort at all. The 2D links can be a real pain, they have a “parent” and “child” relationship. If you break a link by deleting a parent before a child now you have the task of finding all the children without a parent in the model. There are link management tools. You can set up 3D constraints too such that say a wall will automatically update to a linked element like a roof pitch which appears to be what CA does, the only difference is we have total control over those links and again they can be a real pain sometimes.

See attached. Like Robert I was easily able to get the rafter dimension to work using point dimension with all my snaps turned off. The cross hairs clutter the drawing and usually are not needed in close proximity linear dimensions. I use them for circle or arc center lines. The end to end dimension should work here. As you can see in the attachment when I changed roof planes from a 5 1/2 to a 7 1/4 rafter the dimension did not update in my backclipped section view.

“I know you can use the Point to Point dimension tool that will place markers (yuk!)” 

Mickey, I tried to locate these markers by copying the cross section lines to their own layer and turning off all other layers but they would not show. Are they temporary or can they be constrained to for auto updating dimensions?

How do I recall a saved backclipped cross section? I do not see how to open it back up and looked in the chief folders on my hard drive.

Glenn, very kind of you to offer a Skype session, thank you! I hired someone in my time zone to get the ball rolling faster and have a session today. I also put an ad it the services wanted section looking for regional help:  https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/7046-looking-for-us-midwest-ca-trainer/

Thanks for all the replies much appreciated! 

post-5962-0-28431300-1446291768_thumb.jpg

Terry,

Take a look at this thread I came across. I believe it will answer most of your questions (it did mine). The long and the short of it is that Chief cannot do what we want-need as far easily taking and placing dimensions in cross section elevation that will update with changes to the model. It is a significant short coming of the software and not a training issue.

Others have come up with workarounds (as you will read), such as placing CAD lines to dimension to, but again these only serve to degrade the value of using live sections since these measurements will not update either. Many on this forum tout the value of using live sections versus using a CAD Detail from View for developing sections to send to Layout. The best that can be said (given this short coming) is that there are clearly pros and cons to both approaches, depending on your needs.

Maybe users of such programs as Vectorworks (Johnny?), Revit or Archicad could chime with how these programs handle cross section dimensioning.

As far as recalling a backclipped cross section view, assuming you saved the view/camera, it should be listed in the Project Browser. Chief will usually ask when you close a view if you want to save it. I usually just hit the Save Active Camera button, the one that looks like a camera with what looks like a red H across the top.

Hope this helps.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/2933-measurements-on-elevations/