Niches Part III (easy dirty fool proof way)

VisualDandD

So I had to draw and model a niche and remember some of the threads to create them.  Specifically I am making a shower niche.

Joe did a great thread, but his method required the walls to be framed and that was not what I wanted.  Yusuf posted he had solved it, but never showed his method.

So....I thought of what I could do to accomplish the flexibility I wanted.   I dont think my idea is revolutionary by any stretch, but it works quite cleanly.   Materials can be defined how you like them to create whatever effects you want.   It is just a real simple way of doing it with a pass through and two walls.    Sure, you have to draw two walls to do it, but to me this is easier than the other methods.

Just sharing...... I know...not real mind blowing ;)

I do realize that framing wont be 100% correct, but I think if you had to, you can manually draw that 2 feet or so.  Heck, I would just let it ride...

niches.zip

Justin, very nice one, though I think this method was posted by some one earlier, but for sure you didn't see that vid and done it too by your self, much appreciated.

But I think you missed this thread of mine.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/5855-nitche-in-walls-chiefarchitect-tip-by-yusuf/

Thanks!   Never saw that update.   Funny, I have been using Chief for a looong time and never realized I could force two walls on top of one another!   

Figured that my method was nothing revolutionary for sure.   No, never saw it referenced before.

I always appreciate your ingenuity and approach to things.   Thanks for sharing!!!

Justin

Niches should be part of the program, and work like a window, except Sheetrock on the back should remain instead of cutting a wall through... this should an option added to a window DBX where you can select a niche (no need for sophisticated programming to do that). This way you have your headers and  framing automatically adjusted.

This is a much needed feature to be added, since its being used in almost any bathroom design, stairway design, or hallway design, etc and you shouldn't have too drop walls on top of walls and dealing with other time wasting steps.

• Upvote 1

Niches should be part of the program, and work like a window, except Sheetrock on the back should remain instead of cutting a wall through... this should an option added to a window DBX where you can select a niche (no need for sophisticated programming to do that). This way you have your headers and  framing automatically adjusted.

This is a much needed feature to be added, since its being used in almost any bathroom design, stairway design, or hallway design, etc and you shouldn't have too drop walls on top of walls and dealing with other time wasting steps.

I agree too.   That would be nice for sure.   In the DBX you could have "frame" options and could define materials as you wanted.  "casing" could be used for bullnose tile around opening...etc.   Seems an easy transfer.

For those that are interested, Here is the rendering I did where I was looking to put niches in.  It might be a small pain to draw the two walls as I did, but it renders quite well.

Just as a reverence, this rendering could be taken a lot further with more details...etc, but I stopped at the point where I felt it could serve the purpose of laying out the spaces.  With more time investment, you could really bring it in to focus more. 

Modeled in chief.   Textures / bump maps in photoshop and normal map, then rendered in lumion.  

Thanks.   I struggle with the desire to make something that looks good vs the time invested.   You can always go further, add accessory items, tweak textures more, play with more light settings etc, but there comes a point where returns diminish.  

I get excited sometimes, and come up with some real nice bumpmaps and re-run a rendering.   When I show it to my wife, she says "It looks the same" ;) .   That is the balance point.   At some point, I am just working to improve it for me and it adds little in the way of functionality to the rendering itself.    That is my biggest struggle.   Knowing when it is enough....and moving on. 

Niches should be part of the program, and

I AGREE!

work like a window, except Sheetrock on the back should remain instead of cutting a wall through... this should an option added to a window DBX where you can select a niche (no need for sophisticated programming to do that). This way you have your headers and framing automatically adjusted.

BUT UNTILL THEY ADD IT, ADOPTING THE BEST WORKFLOWS ARE MUCH IMPORTANT FOR GOOD PERFORMANCE, I HAVE AVOIDED THAT STEP "FORCING THE TWO WALLS" BY SIMPLY JUST A SINGLE WALL AND CLIPBOARD POWER. HERE IS A VIDEO. THIS IS EXACTLY HOW YOU SUGGESTED.JUST A PROCEDURE AND ALL IS WELL.