Stacked Stairs

Sweeney

Hello All,

Trying to stack stairs from first to second floor, then second to third, with a continuous railing - as attached in the pictures. When I attempt to do so, I can't ever get the railings to attach

Looking for some input on the how to 

Thanks as always

Austin 

post-6822-0-31689600-1444243663_thumb.jpg

post-6822-0-41333500-1444243673_thumb.jpg

post-6822-0-08313100-1444243680_thumb.jpg

You will need 2 sets of stairs on different levels occupying the same X/Y space but different Z - which the stories will provide.  Floor 0 or 1 will have stairs going up, and Floor 1 or 2 will have stairs going up, and floor 3 will have an "open to below" space in X/Y coordinate for head height etc.

The stair examples are all different - which one do you want to replicate?

Haha actually not like any of them, my main focus is how the rail wraps with the stair. Just pulled these from google to show how they are stacked

There are two variables I am concerned with...

one being my first floor height is different from the second floor height, so obviously ill have to change some numbers.  And second the base in which the stairs start are different, the second floor stair starts about a foot back from the base of the first floor stair.

Tried to attach the plan, but it is to big to upload 

1. Floor height - so long as both stairs have the same X/Y start coordinates you should be fine with varying floor levels.  The stairs can have different run lengths.

2. You can make a custom handrail, which may be easier for this situation.  There is an option for "follow stairs" which would work for stairs, and then a straight rail for the edge of the stair opening.

I can't see how making a custom handrail will make your life any easier.  I would recommend using the Auto Stairwell tool as a starting point instead.  This tool should automatically generate a railing and an open below room that will contain your stairs.  See the attached plan as a very simple example.

Can you get those options on the stairs for more complex handrail details as the pictures show?  I've only been able to use the custom handrail and even at that sometimes section it so there are multiple pieces which make up the overall composition i'm after.

I'd like to know if what I am saying is correct or not.  To me I see limited options when you try to control the railing thru the stair Dbx - whereas you have a lot more options to do paneling and other things with the custom railing tool.

Can any of the examples above be replicated (not close, but actually replicated) through the stair Dbx?  If so, id like to know so I stop using the extra steps.

You do not have all of the same style options with stair railings that you do with normal or manually drawn railings. 

Manual railings that have been set to follow stairs are very tricky to create and get good results with.  Unless you are an advanced user I won't recommend them. 

I assumed that Austin's main problem was creating the stacked stairs with properly connected railings and open below rooms.  The simple example I attached above demonstrates how to do this just using the automatic tools.  Once you have a properly configured stair, it is fairly easy to change the style of the normal railings that form the open below rooms.  To change the style of the stair railings to match, you may have turn off the stair railings and create manual ones instead but this is an advanced skill.

I think it is important to get the configuration correct first and then to worry (or not as the case may be) about the style considerations.