What's the fastest way to Adjust the same material differently?

zowie123

Hi,

Using the Adjust Material tool which opens the Define Material dbx...From there  what's the fastest way to copy the same material and change its texture--I want to adjust the same material differently in the same room.  the way I've been doing it takes too long.  

Thank you,

Barry

Don't use Adjust Materials. Click the spray can (Materials Painter) Select the material you want from the list and hit the copy button.

So...Identify material name using the Adjust material, click on material painter (spray can), click plan material, find name in plan material list (unfortunately plan material dbx doesn't have a search box or we could past the name instead of searching down a list of 500).  copy and adjust this material  then spray?    

That's the fastest method that I know.  Anyone other ideas?

Thank you, Kevin,

Barry

So...Identify material name using the Adjust material, click on material painter (spray can), click plan material, find name in plan material list (unfortunately plan material dbx doesn't have a search box or we could past the name instead of searching down a list of 500).  copy and adjust this material  then spray?    

Thank you, Kevin,

Barry

First click on the material eyedropper and select the material.  Then click on the material painter (spray can).  The material you previously selected will automatically be highlighted.  Then either copy and adjust or add to library and adjust.  Easy peasy. 

First click on the material eyedropper and select the material.  Then click on the material painter (spray can).  The material you previously selected will automatically be highlighted.  Then either copy and adjust or add to library and adjust.  Easy peasy. 

For the record, I didn't previously realize how easy this actually was until Kevin suggested using the spray can and going through the list.  I checked to see how fast that method was and discovered the eyedropper thing by mistake.  Previously what I had always done was to use the library browser to search for the material I wanted>Show In Browser>Copy>Paste into my user catalog and then adjust from there.

The new way is definitely faster and easier. 

Thank you, Kevin,

Barry

That really is THE way.  I do a lot with materials.  You might find other ways to get the look you want for a brief shining moment.  But this is the way to do it correctly and have control.

Dude!  That's awesome.  At first i didn't see how to copy, but needed to change tabs from Library to Plan once in the Select Material window.  

Thank you...Barry