TEXT, ANNOTATION SET TOO COMPLICATED!

marklcc

Text is not part of the model and therefore should not be treated that way. Text should be treated just like a cad line or any other cad object.

Really simple way to fix it all, text is place on the current active cad layer!

All text items, callouts, markers, leader lines and arrows, should be placed on the current active cad layer.

You can still have all the flexibility of the annotation sets, but if you dont want it like I do just put it all on the current cad layer!

Ummm...no disrespect, but no. Text is text. I think you can change your annos to work for the way you work, but a blanket statement like that is simply not the way CAD works. 

Personally, I have my template set up to think like I think. When I switch from PLAN VIEW to FRAMING VIEW all of my text, callouts, misc lines, dimensions, etc..switch with me. One click and done. When I go from FRAMING to ELECTRICAL, one click and done. Nothing complicated about that.

Text is not text, it is a well organized set of cad line that create letters.  There are only two things in Chief: 3D and 2D.  2D objects do not show up in the model only on drawings.

It just seems like it could be way easier.

I don't want to spend all my time setting up annotations sets that most likely I will have to modify for some unique reason.

Just treat text like a CAD object, when I change to electrical layer, any text I create from that point is placed on the electrical layer.

I don't want to constantly being turning the text layer off!!!  and you all know what I mean by this.

Again just stimulating conversation!

• Upvote 2

Text is not text, it is a well organized set of cad line that create letters.  There are only two things in Chief: 3D and 2D.  2D objects do not show up in the model only on drawings.

I don't want to spend all my time setting up annotations sets that most likely I will have to modify for some unique reason.

Just treat text like a CAD object, when I change to electrical layer, any text I create from that point is placed on the electrical layer.

I don't want to constantly being turning the text layer off!!!  and you all know what I mean by this.

I have to totally disagree with your way of looking at text but as mentioned, do as you wish. To each his own.

• Downvote 1

The program already works the way you describe. If you want your text on the CAD, ELECTRICAL layer, then set it up that way.

As for the "stimulating conversation" remark. You either want our help or you don't. We are trying to tell you that the program will work the way you want it to, you just aren't listening, or can't be bothered with setting up a template for yourself to make it work that way.

I think you just don't have a clear understanding of how to set up your annotation sets. 

As Joey says what you are asking for can already be done.  I too feel that the process of text/annotation sets is more complex than it needs to be, but not for the reason you mentioned.  Once you learn how to setup your drawing files and keep using the same settings its not difficult at all.

Checkout Wendy's recent vids of this - she really did a great job explaining it all.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Johnny

Markllc,

So you don't like the way it's set up by default.  And there's a tool provided where you can change it to what you do want, but you don't want to use it?   Well, since I have very serious doubts that they will actually change the way the program works to the way you wish (my doubts stem from experience - I've tried that - didn't get very far - well, the changes I have succeeded in getting made took an average of 5 years each, and required the consensus of thousands of other users..., sounds like neither applies here.) - how can we help you?

As Joey says what you are asking for can already be done.  I too feel that the process of text/annotation sets is more complex than it needs to be, but not for the reason you mentioned.  Once you learn how to setup your drawing files and keep using the same settings its not difficult at all.

Checkout Wendy's recent vids of this - she really did a great job explaining it all.

cant you share link to this video??

thanks

Text is not part of the model and therefore should not be treated that way. Text should be treated just like a cad line or any other cad object.

Really simple way to fix it all, text is place on the current active cad layer!

All text items, callouts, markers, leader lines and arrows, should be placed on the current active cad layer.

You can still have all the flexibility of the annotation sets, but if you dont want it like I do just put it all on the current cad layer!

i've fighting wiht this issue for a long time now. 

i've totally given up on trying to understang Annotation Set and trying to making templates. 

i also think thats it's just too complicate and confusing.

so now i just so all my annotation in Layout page instead on in Plan page.

i just have 1 Annotation Set (Default) in my Plan.

in this Default Annt Set, i make multiple Dimesnion Set/style....Floor Plan Dim, Framing Dim, Foundaiton Dim, Site Plan....with these dim set/style, i give its own layers... Dimension, Floor Layer.....Dimension, Site...Dimension, Framing.....etc.

thats only thing i use Annote Set for.... :(((

then do all my text lables and annotation in Layout Page....Floor Plan Page will have all plan annote....Building Section page would have annto on that page. ....so on, so on....

post-1340-0-52484900-1444274218_thumb.png

• Upvote 2

Link to Wendy and the annotation set vids

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/6468-stream-of-stuff-from-wendy/

Buzz,

1. What is your drafting experience? Did you start years ago with hand drawings? Always used a CADD program?

2. Are you making construction documents?

3. Have you thought of paying someone for an hour or two of training?

In my opinion, if you (or anyone within the sound of my voice) are producing con docs (for yourself or for hire) you can probably boost your productivity by 10 -20% with a clear understanding of the annotation sets and a good work flow and template/defaults set up.

hi all,

do you think have a Global annotation scale size is better then having to create a scale for every scale you wanting to use, like the way AutoCad do theirs?

having to make individual set for each scale...

1/2" Annote Set > 1/2" for CAllouts, Text Size, Richtext  and Dimension

1/4" Annote Set > 1/4" for CAllouts, Text Size, Richtext  and Dimension

3/16" Annnote Set > 3/16" for CAllouts, Text Size, Richtext  and Dimension

1/8" Annote Set > 1/8" for CAllouts, Text Size, Richtext  and Dimension

in CA, you end up having creating endless amount of CAllouts, Text Size, Richtext  and Dimension for each of thos Annotation Set 

everytime you make new Annotation Set you have to make new set of the CAllouts, Text Size, Richtext  and Dimension. 

• Upvote 1

Or you make them once and save them to your template.

yes, thats what you would have to do....

and each time want a new scale you would make copy that template and then apply and adjust the text size and callouts to the scale right?

i would have a Template Annote Set....Template Annote Set ....copy and rename a set 

Template Annote Set ....copy and rename a set for 

1/2" Annote Set > 1/2" for CAllouts, Text Size, Richtext  and Dimension

1/4" Annote Set > 1/4" for CAllouts, Text Size, Richtext  and Dimension

3/16" Annnote Set > 3/16" for CAllouts, Text Size, Richtext  and Dimension

1/8" Annote Set > 1/8" for CAllouts, Text Size, Richtext  and Dimension.

and also having a template for all the CAllouts, Text Size, Richtext  and Dimension.
and have to copy and remame that sub-set of attributes the aocordance scale,  right??

am i doing that right??

now if i want to make a slight change in the Annote Set....i cant just make the change in the template and have that change apply to all my Scaled(1/2, 1/4, 3/16) Annote Set.

i would have go into each indivialdul Scaled Annot set make to change to. 
OR do the Copy and Rename process all over again.

isnt better to have a Global Template Annote Set and have scale multiplier factor instead of having the copy and reame process?

isnt that the logic and benifit of have a Template??

Template Annote Set   x 1/2" (scale factor) = 1/2" Annote Set > 1/2" for CAllouts, Text Size, Richtext  and Dimension
  • Upvote 1

If you change your any of your sets and want that to apply to future templates you export the annotation set, import it into the template, save as template and overwrite the existing template. I've taken to keeping groups of sets that I don't use as often saved and importing them as needed. i.e I do more remodel and I do mostly kitchens. I have a saved group of sets for new construction that I import as needed. Makes the list shorter day to day.

i think in Wedy's video Chief_15_Anno_8 @ the 0:57 Min mark......

her voice remarks can sum up the flaws and in-efficiencies of trying to creating Annnotation Set.

"same thing, put it on that one...oK,  same thing, put it on that one...oK,  same thing, put it on that one...oK, same thing, put it on that one...oK,  " 

"i have pause this now.....and not make you watch while I DO THEM ALL"  

creating new layers, changing layer, for CAllouts, Text Size, Richtext  and Dimension

all that steps for customize the ONE 1/8" Scale Annotations.

now reapeat all that to how many Scaled annotation Set need to have. 

this is my point of how badly designed and complicated CA Annotation Set method is.

• Upvote 2