Refreshing layout pages

Alaskan_Son

This has been a long time problem for me and I've never taken the time to figure it out...

Is there a way to easily refresh layout pages. Specifically plan views when layer changes have been made. It seems whenever I change or hide an objects layer that those changes will not display on the layout till I close it and reopen it. It has always been this way for me.

Any help would be appreciated.

This has been a long time problem for me and I've never taken the time to figure it out...

Is there a way to easily refresh layout pages. Specifically plan views when layer changes have been made. It seems whenever I change or hide an objects layer that those changes will not display on the layout till I close it and reopen it. It has always been this way for me.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have not noticed this,  but I do not change THE LAYER SET,  not sure if that is what you are saying.  Do not know what you are doing to cause the problem.  

I never thought of that Curt - I too notice that updates don't always happen and usually go to the plan & back to the layout......some days I hate the way I over think things - zoom/unzoom - scroll the mouse wheel and all is well........

I have not noticed this,  but I do not change THE LAYER SET,  not sure if that is what you are saying.  Do not know what you are doing to cause the problem.  

Try this...Open a layout view, hide one of your layers and then go back to the layout.  See if that change was made on your layout page.  It never is for me, and never has been.

I have had luck with layout views updating by selecting the layout view, clicking the layer options button in the toolbar at the bottom of the page (the square tool with the "O"), and clicking the OK button.  It seems to refresh the view.  This does not work with elevation views.

• Upvote 1

I'll try that out Mike.

Perry,

I realize elevations don't update, my problem is with the plan views not updating, and it only seems to be a problem with hiding layers.  Its not consistanat either.  I just opened the plan back up and its working fine again.  Its been an ongoing issue though since at least X4.  And I love "make copy of active layer set".  It makes modifying layers for every page super easy.  I've never understood why so many people don't like that option.

I'll try that out Mike.

Perry,

I realize elevations don't update, my problem is with the plan views not updating, and it only seems to be a problem with hiding layers.  Its not consistanat either.  I just opened the plan back up and its working fine again.  Its been an ongoing issue though since at least X4.  And I love "make copy of active layer set".  It makes modifying layers for every page super easy.  I've never understood why so many people don't like that option.

I have had similar issues, but it appears to be hit and miss for me.  Sometimes it updates ok and other times it doesn't.  I say about 40% of the time it doesn't update automatically.  Zoom doesn't change anything.  I must open the window and close it to show up.

If you make a change using "make copy" , then wouldn't you have to send it to the layout again to update it. I have never used that setting b/c it makes a lot of layout sets and its confusing about which one it is using. Not using it then you know which layerset is being used, the only one.

I have had luck with layout views updating by selecting the layout view, clicking the layer options button in the toolbar at the bottom of the page (the square tool with the "O"), and clicking the OK button.  It seems to refresh the view.  This does not work with elevation views.

Okay, so this seems to do the trick, except its the not the square tool with the "O", its the square tool with the checkmark.

If you make a change using "make copy" , then wouldn't you have to send it to the layout again to update it. I have never used that setting b/c it makes a lot of layout sets and its confusing about which one it is using. Not using it then you know which layerset is being used, the only one.

It actually works beautifully  (except maybe the little problem I'm having?).  Only problem is that you have to be careful to always access the layerset through the layout or you"ll get confused.  You could also just rename the layerset when you send it to layout to help with that confusion, but it really hasn't been a problem for me.

Using Make copy" seems to only cause grief

having all those extra layersets only seems to cause confusion

this has been discussed many times on the forum

and the general recommendation is to avoid using "make copy"

unless you are well aware of how to use it and "issues" it can cause

one of the primary "issues" is making changes and not seeing them in layout

the changes are there but they are on one of the "copies"

change to that layerset and you should see the changes

Lew

I think "make copy" is highly misunderstood.  All it does is make a different layerset for each page.  Nothing different besides that.  Its the same concept as creating your own layersest, except with "make copy" you don't have to remember which is which, every single view sent to layout can have any number of layers hidden or displayed.  You just have to give them custom names or remember to acces them through the layout.

I think "make copy" is highly misunderstood.  All it does is make a different layerset for each page.  Nothing different besides that.  Its the same concept as creating your own layersest, except with "make copy" you don't have to remember which is which, every single view sent to layout can have any number of layers hidden or displayed.  You just have to give them custom names or remember to acces them through the layout.

Not to hijack my own thread with this topic, but "make copy" is perhaps one of my favorite tools.  I would be highly upset if it disappeared just because no one else uses it.

Wait a minute...if you send an elevation to layout with make copy of active layerset you will not need to send it again after changes? Is that what you are saying Perry?

No what I'm saying is you would have to send a new "make copy" to get the correct layerset you just changed, wouldn't you.

Ok thanks, got it. I must admit, I have never given that tool much thought. I think a few of us decided a long time ago not to use it b/c we just couldn't come up with a reason for it, truthfully.   Now I know someone likes it. To each there own.

I had horrible issues with "make copy" when I first ran into it

mainly cause I didn't even know about it or that it was being used in the 9.5 plan

we were helping a fellow chiefer finalize

I had to go thru and get rid of all the copies

otherwise I was getting duplicate changes, changes not showing etc

when it was discussed on the forum since then

most of the gurus recommended avoiding it big time

I have never tried it since and as Perry stated just don't see a reason

to add that level of confusion

but as they say "to each his own"

Lew