Partial Framing View

payettedesigns

I want to show the framing of a dormer room I am adding on a house but show the rest of the exterior finished as it exists-in perspective view. Can anyone help a lost soul.

Too much work,  if you have to ask,  you will probably have a tough time doing it.  Anything is possible,  but is it worth the effort?

Not sure how Bill did his but I would create a special wall definition that has invisible layers outside of the framing (the sheetrock could be missing or invisible on the inside as well) ... could even so something similar with piece-meal roof planes.  I will be curious to hear how Bill did the OSB exposure ... nice job Bill.

Curt:

The walls were easy I just made new wall defs. The Roof was a little bit more difficult. I used the delete surface tool, turned off  all auto framing and skimmed away surfaces. However every-time I would remove one portion and change something some of the surfaces would regenerate but leave my previous step unchanged. I have not figured out how Bill did the siding thing but I will. I just think for additions this is a nice view to show clients. I am fairly new to Chief but an expert Revit user. Chief is awesome though.  

Glen, you are the master of figuring things out, I know I appreciate what you do here. I also learn something everyday. Chief should pay you to be here.

Perry,

I have often thought that this forum must be a huge cost saving for Chief.

With guys like Scott doing videos and all the other advice given, it must take a huge load off Chief's support departmen.t 

Curt:

The walls were easy I just made new wall defs. The Roof was a little bit more difficult. I used the delete surface tool, turned off  all auto framing and skimmed away surfaces. However every-time I would remove one portion and change something some of the surfaces would regenerate but leave my previous step unchanged. I have not figured out how Bill did the siding thing but I will. I just think for additions this is a nice view to show clients. I am fairly new to Chief but an expert Revit user. Chief is awesome though.  

Sorry, the Tax Deadline is keeping me occupied...

Yes, new wall definitions. (used simple single layer stud wall)  The curved siding and OSB exposure are simple P-line solids attached at the transition point between the walls types...

I tried the 'material region' tool and got some funky results, so I went with the above...

I put roof sections, doors, windows, etc.  I didn't want shown on a new layer (Partial Framing-Invisible) and turned display off.  Pulled other roof sections back to expose framing as needed.  I think I did have to delete two edge surfaces to get the look right.

Hole in terrain for foundation view, had to uncheck 'hide terrain intersected by building' to keep terrain color from 'bleeding' onto foundation wall..

Back to taxes!

Bill:

Thanks for the reply.  I too experimented with the material region tool and also got funky results.  I was experimenting with a Chief 2x6 siding wall and could remove the outer two layers (maybe 3 actually if you include the housewrap) but that is all I could get rid of.  I even tried to put a material region over part of the first region area but that didn't work at all.  Until I understand it better, my opinion is that it is not very user friendly if you are trying to remove layers and it appears to me that it is limited to removing two layers (with some actual thickness to them).

Could one of the Chief dudes who worked on developing that tool chime in and give us a clue whether or not it can be used for removing all or almost all of the layers in a wall (or maybe a floor too .... I don't think it will work on ceilings but ???).  Or maybe Glenn can give us some feedback on how he accomplished what is shown in his image. 

I have no problems with adding at least a couple of layers over a floor or wall area ... but ... trying to cut a whole or several layers out of a multi-layered wall definition just doesn't seem to work for me.  Maybe I just don't understand how to use the tool .. or .. maybe it has limited functionality for removing layers.  Still in the dark.

Curt,

Briefly, you need to draw a new WMR for each wall layer that you want to "expose". 

But keep in mind that the wall layers we are "exposing" have no direct link to the actual wall - we are not really exposing wall layers.

In other words, we are not really exposing the walls layers, we are using WMRs to draw the materials in a hole in the wall.

The hole in the wall is automatically cut down to the main layer if the "Cut Finish Layers of Parent Object" is checked. 

So you will typically need a WMR for each displayed material and each WMR will have 2 layers.

Layer 1 is the material you want to "expose" - give it the correct thickness and material.

Layer 2 is the spacing out from the wall's main layer - give it the thickness from the wall's main layer to the back of the "exposed" material and give it a material Insulation Air Gap or No Material.

Glenn:

Thanks for that information.  I am not sure that I totally understand your explanation but I will check out your plan and then do some more experimenting and see I can figure out how to use this tool when doing cutaways.