Constraint X/Y/Z?

johnny

I may have asked this before, but is there a way to constrain moving an object (drag/drop) freely expect for a X/Y/Z lock axis?  

As an example to be clear -

Say I am moving an object that reaches a bump constraint, I press ctr to freely move but say I want to only move the object in a certain direction....is there a way I can lock that direction?

Draw a cad line to guide your direction of move and use point to point move by using the ends a of the line as a base point. The transform replicate object may be also helpfull to achieve what you asked, but holding CRL and moving ortho freely would be nice. I don't know if that exactly exists.

Johnny,

The best way would be to set your Maximum Bump Distance to a low value that works well to just continue dragging through objects without using the Ctrl key and yet still gives you the ability to use bumping effectively.

Mick,

Not sure if it works for what you are trying to do but you can as you start to drag an item hit TAB and then input the distance and angle of the move too.

Just be aware that there is a setting in Preferences to apply Bumping/Puishing to typed in movement, so that if that option is toggled on, you get the same behaviour as dragging.  

Mick,

Just be aware that there is a setting in Preferences to apply Bumping/Puishing to typed in movement, so that if that option is toggled on, you get the same behaviour as dragging.  

Good point Glenn, 

It's under Preferences>Edit>Snap Properties and you can override it by holding down the control key while you click okay.