I seem to forget what determines the beam size on post to beam railings?

zowie123

Sorry i read your post and then looked closely at the title "post to beam" as in a porch.    I do not know any DBX for this.  When I have had a larger beam than the 8" shown I have made a polyline soild and merged it over the default

I have given up on using this because I like the posts and beams to show up properly on the CDs.

I haven't given up, I just don't use it for the same reason. The only time I use it is if I'm not doing CDs or just giving a quick look.

OK....I tried Jon's suggestion and this is what I found.   

I made several beams.  First you have to save the solid as a molding (make sure you have moldings in your user library).  I tried using a soffit as a molding and at first it looked like it worked accept it was offset from the post.  I tried to adjust the origin offset but it would not adjust.   I then tried a line made into a molding and was able to adjust it so as to center it, origin offset again.

Is this the wat everyone does it or is there a better way?

OK....I tried Jon's suggestion and this is what I found.   

I made several beams.  First you have to save the solid as a molding (make sure you have moldings in your user library).  I tried using a soffit as a molding and at first it looked like it worked accept it was offset from the post.  I tried to adjust the origin offset but it would not adjust.   I then tried a line made into a molding and was able to adjust it so as to center it, origin offset again.

Is this the wat everyone does it or is there a better way?

I think perhaps you're misunderstanding something (or I'm misunderstanding you).  Its not quite that complicated.  Simply navigate to the Rails tab in the wall DBX, select the beam profile and adjust the width and height accordingly. 

• 7 months later...