Counter fill covering upper cabinet

johnny

I have an issue where my counter-top that i used a fill for is covered my upper cabinets.  I've tried to make the upper cabinet moved to front group but that doesn't change its display from being "behind" the custom counter.

I'm using the counter-tops of my concept work - not wanting to mess with cabinets etc....except I do want to show some uppers for graphical display.

Any help is appreciated.

post-75-0-24305700-1443409332_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-50546200-1443409340_thumb.jpg

Peterson_res_concept.plan

Johnny,

Select the countertop and make it the Back Group.

Or, use the transparency setting for the countertop fill.

Another tip:

You can do away with the guide lines you have for the Dining and Living room centres.

Use the Centre Object tool to locate the windows and room text.

Played with this in the provided plan and one of my plans. It seems that your only option is to change the countertops fill transparency. Trying to move the upper cabinet to the front does not work, maybe Chief sees these items as being in the same group. I have experienced this before, just can't remember where. If memory serves me correctly you can only control the movement of one group over the another group but not the order of items within a specific group. Not sure if there is a function in Chief that allows you to define the group assignment of an object?

Graham

Not for nothing but I use a single cabinet for massing- one corner cabinet stretched, one along the wall, one for the island, suppress labels. The big advantage is that then the countertop overhangs are correct so that work aisle dimension are also correct. NKBA suggested minimum is 42" (yours are a tad less before overhangs) I'm always getting plans from architects that don't account for counter overhang. There are times that losing 3" to two counters is an issue giving the client what they want.

The only problem I have now is that the countertop is showing as if it is below the base cabinet. Is there a way to now move the base cabinet to the back of the group?

Upper on top

Counter in the middle

Base at the bottom

Graham

Great question.....  in fact I posed this great question to Brian "soon to be a Father" Beck at the UGM......  I think it was Brian....  quick answer,  no.

This has been my bane for many years ago.  Apparently the problem is based on the fact that prior to turning countertops of base cabinets into custom countertops,  the countertops and base cabs are inexplicitly tied to each other.  As soon as the base cabinet relies on a custom countertop,   all goes to he** in a hand basket.

This is what I have been doing...  I put the counter top on ...  I think it is default layer (base cabinet is hidden now),  I then draw a CAD line where base cabinet is,  put that CAD line on base cabinet layer,  and put in front group.  By doing this,  you can identify extent of base cab,  the countertop hides the floor fill,  and base cab looks good.

This scenario is very common with custom countertops for islands.  A PIA,  but doable relatively quickly,  upper cabs is more trouble.....  yep,  another cad line to represent the now hidden upper cabinet and give it a fill.

There should be a way to fix this.  I have been sending this into Brian for about 4 years now.  It has not been fixed yet.  I think they think it is trouble to fix.

Great question.....  in fact I posed this great question to Brian "soon to be a Father" Beck at the UGM......  I think it was Brian....  quick answer,  no.

This has been my bane for many years ago.  Apparently the problem is based on the fact that prior to turning countertops of base cabinets into custom countertops,  the countertops and base cabs are inexplicitly tied to each other.  As soon as the base cabinet relies on a custom countertop,   all goes to he** in a hand basket.

This is what I have been doing...  I put the counter top on ...  I think it is default layer (base cabinet is hidden now),  I then draw a CAD line where base cabinet is,  put that CAD line on base cabinet layer,  and put in front group.  By doing this,  you can identify extent of base cab,  the countertop hides the floor fill,  and base cab looks good.

This scenario is very common with custom countertops for islands.  A PIA,  but doable relatively quickly,  upper cabs is more trouble.....  yep,  another cad line to represent the now hidden upper cabinet and give it a fill.

There should be a way to fix this.  I have been sending this into Brian for about 4 years now.  It has not been fixed yet.  I think they think it is trouble to fix.

Same issue if you use a Polyline Solid for a countertop versus the custom countertop tool. I'll just keep using the countertop fill transparency setting in order to see the underlying base cabinets and uppers above.

Graham

As I see it, currently there are 4 basic solutions...

1.  Adjust the transparacy of the countertop and leave it at the front drawing group.  This has the downside of affecting the way the upper cabinets visually display.  If transparacy is adjusted all the way to 100% it defeats the purpose of using a fill though which brings me to option 2...

2.  Give the countertop no fill.  This has the obvious downside of giving the countertop...well...no fill.

3.  Give the base cabinbets and countertop the same fill color and send the countertop to the back drawing group. 

4.  Adjust the transparency of the base cabinet fill or remove the fill entirely. 

I think the latter 2 options are equally good. 

I'm missing something. I couldn't even remember what fills I use so had to check.

I do roughs/massing with countertops on the default cabinet for clarity of overhang. After that is settled I use custom tops exclusively so that the cabinet height reads correctly in the schedule. Most often I'm building them from the icon, not converting them. Looks like I have the same fill for cabinets and counters when they start as default, and no fill for the ones I usually build. Hasn't been a problem.

Attached screenshot-??

post-85-0-69601100-1443465588_thumb.png

I'm missing something. I couldn't even remember what fills I use so had to check.

I do roughs/massing with countertops on the default cabinet for clarity of overhang. After that is settled I use custom tops exclusively so that the cabinet height reads correctly in the schedule. Most often I'm building them from the icon, not converting them. Looks like I have the same fill for cabinets and counters when they start as default, and no fill for the ones I usually build. Hasn't been a problem.

Attached screenshot-??

In your middle example, try giving the countertop a fill.   This is where some people start to perceive a problem. 

I see, thanks Michael, guess that's why I use no fill for those :0

Yeah, I don't have a problem with it myself.  I could see where some people might though if they like to give countertops a different fill style and/or color especially.  In that case, I think the best solution is #4 in my post above...

"4.  Adjust the transparency of the base cabinet fill or remove the fill entirely."

I think #3 is the default OOB.  I don't mess with it.

Just checked this out. You are correct #3 in Michael's list seems to be the default configuration. As you indicate no need to mess with it, unless there is a need to assign a different fill colour to the countertop. If this is the case then you either send it to the back or set a transparency level. Regardless of the chosen method, there will be some obscuring of objects below or colour blending where colours overlap. If it's worth while thinking about then how else could it be? I hate saying this but "it is what it is".

Graham

I'm not quite sure where I saw this method; I think Joey Martin. It uses a transparent hatch fill for the upper, which shows whatever is below. Much better for presentations and condocs IMO.

Mike

attachicon.gifcabinet fill.jpg

I did the transparent  cross hatching  at one time,  but now I leave the OBB white fill   (I think that might be NKB norm),  but I give the white fill a semi transparent fill.....  I like it  better than the crosshatching .

I did the transparent  cross hatching  at one time,  but now I leave the OBB white fill   (I think that might be NKB norm),  but I give the white fill a semi transparent fill.....  I like it  better than the crosshatching .

I will try this method just to see how it looks and prints. I notice on my machine that when I do several solid white fills, especially for polyline shading, it begins to slow down my zooms and pans noticeably. I wouldn't call it "sluggish" so much as "annoying."

...... I notice on my machine that when I do several solid white fills, especially for polyline shading, it begins to slow down my zooms and pans noticeably. I wouldn't call it "sluggish" so much as "annoying."

Interesting,  I had not noticed,  I know that if I used a lot of CONCRETE FILLS,  I did get the sluggishness,  I don't notice it so much any more,  I think my machine is faster  than it was.

But again,  I had not noticed white fills slowing down the 'puter,  in fact I would guess the white fill would be faster than a cross hatch.......

maybe CA would not mind commenting on what kind of fills slow down the 'puter.  

Some of my slow down is probably due to my video card; good for its day but it's not the fastest by any means now - 5-years old, which is a "dinosaur" by today's standards. Will upgrade at some point, but may wait and just replace workstation.

[edit] If any of you guys have a better nVidia card than mine just lying around collecting dust let me know. :)