Driving me crazy!

mikes616

I scanned in a file....jpg and imported it into my drawing. I then sent the drawing, including the sca21412ELEVATOR.plan21412ELEVATOR.layout21412ELEVATOR.layoutnned file to my layout. When I look at the layout page, the scanned file shows up just fine. But when I print the page out, the file is not there....a blank space where the file should be and the rest of the page prints just fine. I have tried everything. Anybody have any ideas? Using X7. Thanks.

The area in question is the "Location Map" picture on the first page.

Mark

There is a setting in the picture dbx to Save In Plan.

Try checking that and see if it helps.

Could be different for the OP but I did a test run with a JPG file myself earlier and checking that box didn't seem to make any difference.  The JPG displayed perfectly well in plan and layout without it. 

Michael,

The problem isn't that the .jpg isn't visible in plan and elevation.

The problem is that the .jpg won't print.

I thought that it may not be printing because Chief can't find the image and that setting may help.

It was only a guess.

Silly me...I totally misread that first post.  I had been thinking all along that the image was printing fine but not showing up in layout.  My bad.   Carry on. 

Just to add to the confusion....I use 2 different layout page sizes.  When I use the smaller sheet, it plots out fine.  It's only when I use the larger sheet do I have the problem.  I also tried sending the file by selecting, under the "send options", "send current screen as image" and that plotted as well.  So I think it must be something in the settings of the larger size layout page.

Mark

I had a similar problem early on in X7.  I had inconsistent results (dropped .JPGs, cut off sheets) printing directly from Chief to my HP plotter.  I now print to PDF first, then plot and don't have those problems.  I would try printing to PDF and see if it resolves the problem.  Also contact support.

We use jpegs in almost every layout we do. Katy has no problem printing with her HP plotter. In the beginning, she did have problems with the computer communicating with the plotter (wireless) when she started using Windows 8. She had to get a new plotter last year because of this problem.

Thank you all for your help. I have made a new plan & layout page & tried a few things. On the layout page, the map in the upper right corner was a normal picture, the map in the middle had the "saved in plan" box checked, and the bottom right corner ( closest to the page number), had both "saved in plan" and "current screen as image" boxes checked. When I plotted the sheet, the upper right map was mostly there but it had a narrow, blank area cutting thru the bottom third of the map. The middle map didn't plot out at all. The bottom right map plotted fine. I guess it's an enigma that won't be solved. It may very well be the driver. I guess the moral is to not try and plot jpg files or plot them only by checking "current screen as image". Sorry to have beaten this to a pulp. Thanks again

Mike,

It's a good question and one a lot of us face. I talked to tech support about a PDF issue I was having and their opinion was that printers have not kept up with enough memory to handle a lot of the bigger files we send to be printed. Yesterday I was trying to print an 8.5 x 11 page of 3 pictures to my HP 110 and it was choking and printing only 2 and 1/2 images. My usual cure is to print to PDF then print to the HP but I had the same problem when trying that.

The problem as it turned out was that each picture was really large as I did a screen capture from either my 27" or 32" screen, creating picture files much larger than I needed, and much too large for the printer's limited memory. I then reduced each image to 800 x 640 (or thereabouts) and everything printed fine. The HP was choking on the image size because of its lack of memory. Just a thought for the future.

EDIT: ...and not the 'size' of the image as you shrink it on the page with its handles but the actual picture size in pixels, altered in a photo editor.