Rotating a 3d Object about z axis...

DelRDesign

I am trying to figure out how to rotate a 3d object about the "z" axis... and that may not even be the correct term.  Here is what I want to do:

There is a "wine cask" in the Wine Cellar Items/Accessories Library.  When this is inserted in my plan, it is in an upright position.  i would like to rotate it to show the object laying on its side - I want to place a number of these on barrel racks I am building.  I can edit all kinds of attributes for the wine cask, but cannot rotate it to get on its side.  I'm sure there is a simple answer to this, but I have not been able to find it or figure it out...any help would be greatly appreciated!

place in plan, "open symbol" , 3D tab check Y axis-set to 90 degrees, rotate-go to 2D block and generate block- add to user library

Thanks Mark...

As I thought, it was an easy fix, just needed someone who knew what they were doing to tell me where to look!  I have been double-clicking on the symbol, never knew about the "Open Symbol" button.  That has been a HUGE help and I'm already making progress where I had been stumped for over an hour.  Thanks so much!!

Would really like to have this capacity. It's there to some extent. Take a wall cabinet for example and open a camera view, rotate to view the cabinet top and click on the top surface and the rotate handle is displayed, same if you rotate to the underside. This does not work for the face, back or sides. Why not?

Graham

Some symbols, such as cabinets, walls, doors-don't rotate. I can't see why I'd want to.

Agree that many items such as doors & windows are orientation specific and there would be no real purpose for a rotational capacity. If I could rotate a cabinet in all axis I could for example use a wall cabinet with an open face and shelves and rotate it so it could be a floor bin with open access from the top. This technique could also be used to easily create bench seating where the seat can be flipped up for storage access.

Also, given that many symbols can be rotated from within their symbol DBX it would be far easier to be able to access this capability within a camera view and a rotational handle. I have always found the symbol DBX rotation controls to be very awkward and at times I am not 100% sure I have rotated the item correctly. If this could be done in a camera view there would be absolutely no confusion, at least on my part!

Graham

I'd agree it might be easier live but you do get a preview in the dbx.

I make benches from base cabinets- yes you have to add the dividers but have more control over them (would love to have a "divider option")  but you have control over the face (toe, panel, flush, baseboard..) and can then show the "lid" partly open if you make it separately.

edited-alwys forget to click attach

post-85-0-74127000-1443456210_thumb.png

Mark, that's the beauty of Chief. There is usually always a way to get what you want, just not always a particular users preferred way. No matter how hard we try we just can't "please all of the people all of the time". Fortunately Chief does a good job at "pleasing most of the people most of the time".

Good point about the dividers, should be a vertical/horizontal option in the cabinet shelf DBX. Would give better control than inserting vertical separations or floating in partitions.

Cheers,

Graham