Graphics Card recommendations: Gaming or Workstation?

Hometec

Of your list, the BenQ is the only one I'd recommend.  The Dell "P" series will not reproduce color accurately--ever, and I have no experience with LG.

My preferences in the under $1K 27" WQHD monitors are:

Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch

Dell U2713HM 27-Inch

ASUS PB278Q 27-Inch

IMO the Samsung and ASUS are a coin toss for the best (I have personal issues with Dell).

jon

• Upvote 1

Thank you Jon.

I have been looking at two of your three:

Dell U2713HM, (8ms-Refresh Rate), (1929x1080),et al => $518.28

ASUS PB278Q, (5ms-Refresh Rate), (2560x1440), et al => $424.99

Samsung, I'll have to look up .......

Also been looking at:

Dell U2715H, (8ms-Refresh Rate), (2560x1440), et al => $599.99

Decisions-decisions .....

Thanks again,

Peter.

Don't be afraid to get a used one.  Just got a 30" Dell Utrasharp off Ebay in perfect condition for $395.  I have probably had 6 different LCD monitors over the years, including my original Dell 30" I got new about 4 years ago (bought the second used one and plan to combine the two 30's with a 50" 4K Seiki TV when I get a new rig soon) and at least 3 laptops with LCD monitors and have never had any of them go bad.  Not a single dead pixel, nothing.  Seems like they generally last quite a long time.

Response times are important for gamers.  You will sacrifice accurate color w/a gamer monitor.

Refresh rates in IPS/PLS (PLS is used in the ASUS & Samsung) are only important in large screens viewed at a distance.

If you're willing to throw 100% sRGB color accuracy out the window... 

http://www.amazon.com/PG278Q-27-Inch-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00MSOND8C/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1426876577&sr=8-23&keywords=wqhd+monitor+27

jon

Bryce, how's that Seiki working for you. I  almost bought that one but I noticed the refresh rate was 30hz in 4k mode. Some people said it kept blinking on them. I don't know ,just wondered if you are having that problem.

Haven't gotten it yet.  Just got the used 30" to add to the one I already had.  Here is my current setup. Need a newer card to run the 50" and 2-30's.  My existing card is all DVI which I don't think supports the full 4K resolution.  Gotta go with Display Port.  Bill Emery didn't seem to be having any trouble with his.  And, there is this article about settings on it to make it work better as a monitor.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2013/11/27/seiki-50-4k-tv-makes-great-pc-display-for-about-1000/

I think most of the criticism about using this as a monitor comes from gamers.  But I don't game at all and am betting it will work well with Chief.  Will let you know when it happens.  Just gotta get past tax day. :-)

post-67-0-70344800-1426887861_thumb.jpg

I've been running the Seiki 50" for almost a year now without problems.  The refresh rate is not a problem for drafting or any of Chief's 3D graphics.

There is no flicker; but it is possible to see mouse trails when moving the mouse quickly across the screen.

I can review a Arch D (24" x 36") sheet full size.

You can see the equivalent of four 25" screens running on the Seiki; while I have my menus and Boise BeamCalc running on the tiny little 30" monitor.

post-62-0-33146300-1426896082_thumb.jpg

I live in an area that has a slow internet speed; so slow that it is impossible to watch videos online. Question: Is it possible to obtain the latest videos on a disk? They seem to work much better when downloading is not required. Also, is it possible to obtain in-structural videos that take "one" from start to finish on how to draw "high end" complicated houses? (I am just learning CA, but I seem to have the basics covered)

I kinda went overboard thinking of the future and not having to upgrade anytime soon and went with Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690  4GB Graphics Cards. Once set up, there's not much it cant do.  Repeating what has been said, you must think about the best "multi"-core processor you can afford.  You can always change out / upgrade the graphics card later if needed if your not using a laptop.

Samsung must have a new line coming out there was big price drops on some of there 4K units ,at least locally ,40-45% off this weekend. Still not at Seiki pricing though....

Samsung UN50HU7000 50IN 4K

http://www.ncix.com/detail/samsung-un50hu7000-50in-4k-60hz-d5-94623.htm

Samsung UN40HU7000 40IN....$699

http://www.ncix.com/detail/samsung-un40hu7000-40in-4k-60hz-32-94622.htm

Just to toss in my 2 cents even though I am not much of a computer guy.  However, my 2 year old system in running fine and its a a Dell XPS 8500 using Win 8.1 Pro, Intel Core i7-3770 CPU clocking along at 3.40 GHz with 24 Ram at 64 bits using an AMD Radeon 7700 Series video display. I am running 6 and thinking about switching to 7...