Snap control during a command?

ACADuser

You start a line draw & need the snap to get the start point but want to then turn the snap off

BUT you need the Ortho control on. i.e. you want a straight line.

So the Ctrl key is no good. Is there another option.

[soap Box On]

Let me just say the "Click-Hold Drag Release" method has many shortfalls as a drawing method.

I would pay extra if we had the option to change to the "Click Click"

That is what the "Point to Point Move command uses! Why can't all command use this method.

It afford the option for user input after the first click.

In my opinion this is a far superior method of control.

[soap Box Off]

Thanks for your time. :)

Many of the snap settings can be toggled while you are dragging by hitting hot keys to turn them on and off. Some things can't, I don't recall the exact list. There is also the ability to hold down the S key to temporarily disable snapping as well. I think this is fairly well documented in the help so I would suggest looking there for more specifics.

Let me just say the "Click-Hold Drag Release" method has many shortfalls as a drawing method.

I would pay extra if we had the option to change to the "Click Click"

Try using the "alt" behavior, see reference manual pg 1061. I'll send a bill :))) It's also possible to use the keyboard, or temporary points.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for trying Mark but not quite what I had in mind.

Desired behavior:

Click the LINE tool

Click the start point (no hold down of the mouse button)

move the cursor to next point, cursor snaps to object(s) then click to end the line.

Between clicks you may PAN, ZOOM, toggle the Ortho On/Off and you may toggle the snaps On/Off.

Line tool is still active so you may click a new point for the next segment or ESCape to stop drawing the line.

With CA if you release the click the line stops there. Hate that behavior. (sorry but I do)

I am with Alan on this. Holding down the mouse button to do all of this and also hitting other keys is ####. I would like the choice/option of click- release-click instead of drag on almost all items (lines, poly, walls, etc.) similar to other programs. Saves a lot of mouse (wrist) movement and if we could go past the screen edge too, drawing would be so much less frustrating.

Oh, and as he also said, do not have to go back and reselect the tool again to draw another item once you release the mouse but maybe I have missed something in basic Drawing 101.

The click release drag click behavior is a mode that I have wanted to add to Chief since X1 when we redid the editing. It requires some thought as to how to make it work consistently and well throughout the program, but it has some obvious advantages if implemented correctly. We did add the alternate input behaviors for walls, and lines that sort of work the way you want, but they don't really help in the case of drawing 1 line/wall, so are not quite as nice as what you would like.

Guess I don't understand.

Using the alt, can draw one with escape or more lines without, pan and zoom with middle mouse button without losing connection, toggle snaps with a click or keyboard, line doesn't stop until I click a second time. Appears to work same as TurboCad (haven't used ACAD) except I see the line instead of just the snap point.

What am I missing?

• Upvote 2

Oh Mark, I see now.

Use Alt+Click to start the behavior.

You can release the Alt key and keep clicking line points and the S key & Ctrl key can the be used during to command.

This very helpful when creating 3Dmolding lines.

Thanks Mark.

PS yes the PAN & Zoom also work  -:)

Try using the "alt" behavior, see reference manual pg 1061. I'll send a bill :))) It's also possible to use the keyboard, or temporary points.

Thanks Mark! Super usefdul tip. I had no idea it was as easy as hitting the alt key. A little while back I figured out you can left click to start operation, and right click off screen to get the same functionality but the alt key is so much cleaner. Thanks again : )