Rotate Section Plane

johnny

I take it that you are asking whether you can rotate a cross section camera callout view?  If that is the question, then the answer is, no you can not.  This is a real productivity killer IMO.

As far as the temp dims are concerned, there is an icon on the left that allows you to toggle temp dims on or off.

I take it that you are asking whether you can rotate a cross section camera callout view?  If that is the question, then the answer is, no you can not.  This is a real productivity killer IMO.

Rod,  why do you think this is a productivity killer?  If I remember correctly,  there has been a time or two when I could of used this feature,  but it really was not a big deal to me.

So,  how is it a productivity killer?

• 3 weeks later...

I just ran into this again today when reversing plan sets for a builder, and is one of the frustrating WHY questions that come up from time to time.  Any sections not perfectly horizontal (assuming you are flipping your plan on the vertical axis) don't reverse with the plan (regardless if you flip your model manually or with the flip plan button), and therefore are all pointing the opposite way of the set up section view.  With no way to flip the section (even manually), you must re-create each section view in your reversed plan to point the correct way.  With many complex sections, this is a real productivity killer, even with cut/paste of your cad work from the old sections.

Anyone have a workaround for this?

I just ran into this again today when reversing plan sets for a builder, and is one of the frustrating WHY questions that come up from time to time.  Any sections not perfectly horizontal (assuming you are flipping your plan on the vertical axis) don't reverse with the plan (regardless if you flip your model manually or with the flip plan button), and therefore are all pointing the opposite way of the set up section view.  With no way to flip the section (even manually), you must re-create each section view in your reversed plan to point the correct way.  With many complex sections, this is a real productivity killer, even with cut/paste of your cad work from the old sections.

Anyone have a workaround for this?

• 7 years later...
On 9/24/2015 at 4:08 PM, dshall said:

Rod,  why do you think this is a productivity killer?  If I remember correctly,  there has been a time or two when I could of used this feature,  but it really was not a big deal to me.

So,  how is it a productivity killer?

When you have 300+ interior elevations of cabinets and you need to do the flip of those cabinets and have to create new cameras for each and every one, it takes days, if not weeks, to complete. Whereas if the camera could be flipped at the same time, it would just take a few hours. 

30 minutes ago, GlennShaw said:

When you have 300+ interior elevations of cabinets and you need to do the flip of those cabinets and have to create new cameras for each and every one, it takes days, if not weeks, to complete. Whereas if the camera could be flipped at the same time, it would just take a few hours. 

Very old thread here.

But it sounds like you have a specific use case that there might be a solution to.  However I am not 100% sure I am following your issue.  Can you explain more what you want and/or are doing, maybe some pix?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Very old thread here.

But it sounds like you have a specific use case that there might be a solution to.  However I am not 100% sure I am following your issue.  Can you explain more what you want and/or are doing, maybe some pix?

We are a home builder. Have probably 50 house plans that default Garage Right. We recently switched to pre-made cabinets and have done all the needed cabinet elevations for the homes. But all of the homes can and need to be build Garage Left at times. So we have to have the flip of all the interior elevations which number about 300+. I can flip all of the plans in about 8-10 hours. But I have to go through and replace ALL of the cameras because there is no flip feature. And at this rate it is going to take days, if not weeks to complete,  the project. I've been in this field for 30 years with 98% of that time in AutoCAD. IMO, not being able to flip the camera is a huge mistake and on the part of the developers for Chief. As the person wrote previously, It is a MAJOR productivity killer. 

48 minutes ago, GlennShaw said:

IMO, not being able to flip the camera is a huge mistake and on the part of the developers for Chief.

One must assume if it's not been an option all these years, then it's more than just laziness preventing it from being added.

50 minutes ago, GlennShaw said:

there is no flip feature

Reverse Plan actually does flip Elevation cameras, too. It is only a Left to Right flip, though.

1 hour ago, TeaTime said:

Reverse Plan actually does flip Elevation cameras, too. It is only a Left to Right flip, though.

That flip you do not want and makes no sense IMO. When reversing the plan what was the Right Elevation now becomes the Left Elevations and you want your cameras to stay put which is why I never use Reverse Plan to flip a house from left to right. But when flipping an Interior Elevation, you generally want the camera to flip with it and should be an option. The option to flip the camera is an overlooked issue. The one change they have made with 15, and is way overdue, is the ability to specify an insertion point for a block. Something that should have been an option from the very beginning. 

It's a bit convoluted but since you can Cut/Copy cameras now, you could select all cameras, Reverse plan, Paste -- anyway I get what you're saying. It's a pain and it would be nice to just be able to rotate the darn things. I have to assume it's not as simple as that in the code or our many requests over the years surely would have been fulfilled.

Not sure what you mean about the Insertion Point thing, that's been an option for a long time and still is in X15

image.png.36d845197b9ba6a16812c8145e5e2274.png

4 hours ago, GlennShaw said:

We are a home builder. Have probably 50 house plans that default Garage Right. We recently switched to pre-made cabinets and have done all the needed cabinet elevations for the homes. But all of the homes can and need to be build Garage Left at times. So we have to have the flip of all the interior elevations which number about 300+. I can flip all of the plans in about 8-10 hours. But I have to go through and replace ALL of the cameras because there is no flip feature. And at this rate it is going to take days, if not weeks to complete,  the project. I've been in this field for 30 years with 98% of that time in AutoCAD. IMO, not being able to flip the camera is a huge mistake and on the part of the developers for Chief. As the person wrote previously, It is a MAJOR productivity killer. 

You can reverse the camera by using the reverse plan tool and by selecting the cad work in the elevation and using replicate about you flip the information pretty quickly.

Another option would be to do a cad detail from view and replicate about from the other plans but I guess without seeing what your elevations look like I am not able to give more specific advice for it.  I don't think it is as hard as you are saying to do what you want but that is quite possibly because you are doing something different that I am not understanding.

• Upvote 1

Are you wanting to rotate your cross section camera on the horizontal plane of the floor plan ? Yes it can. Or are you asking if you can rotate the cross section view after it has been created in the vertical plane ? Yes via view to CAD then rotate.

On 9/24/2015 at 7:51 PM, RodCole said:

When setting up cross referenced cameras it compounds the work req'd for the cameras and call out numbering rather than being able to set them up and drag and rotate.

Just set them up in your template off to the side and move them up when you want them. Then they're already set the way you want them, and already synced to your template layout file. Done and done. I have three for each direction:

Screen Shot 2023-10-09 at 10.56.25 PM.png