Arch Block components

MarkMc

Go to solution Solved by Alaskan_Son,

I often need to make  an Architectural Block out of things to get them into the cabinet schedule. Then I need to edit the components, add a sub category and type something in there. Say the block is made of psolids. In that case I can't open the components dialog-

but

IF I add it to the library, I had already specified treat as one object, include in cabinet schedule I can open the components while it is in the library.

Is it at all possible to open the components while it is in the plan??

• Solution

I often need to make an Architectural Block out of things to get them into the cabinet schedule. Then I need to edit the components, add a sub category and type something in there. Say the block is made of psolids. In that case I can't open the components dialog-

but

IF I add it to the library, I had already specified treat as one object, include in cabinet schedule I can open the components while it is in the library.

Is it at all possible to open the components while it is in the plan??

I might be misunderstanding something, but once you add it to the library you should be able to open it directly from the plan.

On a side note, have you explored the possibilities of turning those items into symbols instead of blocking them? You could simply cut/paste in position to another plan, create symbol, and then cut, paste in position back into original plan.

I don't know...just brainstorming.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Michael-that gave me an idea which worked.

The problem:

I only use the blocks so that I can have it show up in the cabinet schedule.

I add a sub category for use in the schedule to list modifications, accessories, and another for treatment of sides.

To do that I have to access the components list for an item. If I block psolids I have no access to a "component list" when they are in the plan. Oddly I can open the component list of blocked Plines in the library. (Getting live,accurate cabinet schedules to suit my needs has been tedious almost every step and may be a fools errand)

I was avoiding making symbols out of these since these shapes really can't be properly altered as symbols, AND I'd still have to block them to get them into the schedule.

But after your suggestion I remembered that I've managed to make this work with millwork symbols so I tried.

Made it into a millwork symbol, I can access the component list in plan after blocking I can get them into the cabinet schedule.

The symbols still aren't suitable for altering but I'll live with that, I'll just keep some blocked copies around the plan (and not in the schedule) in case I need to alter them so I can make a new symbol if I have to. So thanks.