Running Chief and AutoCAD simultaneously

Wheels

I work in IT and have a designer that runs Chief and AutoCAD simultaneously. He has a higher end system (I don't have the exact specs right now, but it easily meets both ChiefArchitect and AutoCAD's minimum specs) but it occasionally freezes. 

I suggested to him that he only run one of these programs at a time, to try to narrow down what the problem might be, but that isn't something he wants to do. I've been asked to spec him out a new computer that should handle this better, but I'm not sure that throwing higher powered hardware at it will solve the problem.

Is anyone out there running both ChiefArchitect and AutoCAD simultaneously? If so what sort of computer are you running them on?

What freezes? The entire system or a specific program?

What is your client doing when it freezes? Sometimes video drivers are a problem, especially if you are working in 3D.

If the whole system is becoming unresponsive, my first guess would be the system is running out of real memory and going to the swap file.

I'm assuming you are running Windows. You should bring up the task manager and monitor the use of memory to see if you have enough.

Beyond that there are other potential problems, such as malware, or lack of disk space that could come into play. It is really hard to diagnose something like this without a lot more information.

I would suggest contacting our support team to see if they can narrow down the cause of problem.

I run Chief Architect and AutoCAD from time to time, I also use Adobe Acrobat Pro, Corel Paint Shop Pro and other applications simultaneously. I have never noticed any unexpected problems for the last several years, I believe that the problem is probably based on a specific PC or Mac hardware as opposed to software based. 

Doug Park is correct in that to actually diagnose a problem, one needs specific information such as is commonly required for Tech Support help.

DJP

What freezes? The entire system or a specific program?

What is your client doing when it freezes? Sometimes video drivers are a problem, especially if you are working in 3D.

If the whole system is becoming unresponsive, my first guess would be the system is running out of real memory and going to the swap file.

I'm assuming you are running Windows. You should bring up the task manager and monitor the use of memory to see if you have enough.

Beyond that there are other potential problems, such as malware, or lack of disk space that could come into play. It is really hard to diagnose something like this without a lot more information.

I would suggest contacting our support team to see if they can narrow down the cause of problem.

Doug my computer hangs up and slows down with a pdf file, quicken, Chief could mine be a memory problem. Thanks I am attaching what I think is my computer spec's

computer spec's.pdf

I run Chief X7 and AutoCAD Architecture 2012 or Revit Architecture 2012 simultaneously with no problems (other than constantly forgetting which of my keyboard shortucuts to use for which program). My computer specs are in my signature; I'm running Windows 8.1.

Doug my computer hangs up and slows down with a pdf file, quicken, Chief could mine be a memory problem. Thanks I am attaching what I think is my computer spec's

The PDF of your computer specs appear to show a reasonably decent computer. However, it is impossible to answer your question with only that information. I would suggest you contact our support and work with them as there are probably at least a dozen or so questions that would need to be asked and answered in order to properly diagnose your issue.

• 4 weeks later...