Using Edit Layout Lines

TSJDesign

Hi there -

I've been trying to move away from creating "flattened" cad details of my elevations and sections, as that is what the good folks at the user conference recommended.  However, in practice I'm having a difficult time, and perhaps it is because I don't understand what the "Edit Layout Lines" tool does.  

My understanding is that when you send a (live) elevation to layout, it creates "layout lines" of all visible items.  Then I can edit those lines using the tool, and as long as I didn't update the view, the edits would remain.

However, in practice while trying to edit the elevation (referencing the live elevation view) while in the layout, I can only select certain lines in the roof system and some - but not all - wall corner lines. Nothing else is selectable or editable.

Is this normal behavior?  Are lines that are created by some objects off limits for editing? Am I misunderstanding what can and can not be done with the "edit layout lines" tool in layout view?  Should I be editing in a different place (assume I don't want to loose the live connection)?

Thanks all!

Todd

You can't select pattern lines, or CAD lines created while in the camera mode, unless that has changed. And generally, you can't select CROSS SECTION lines without unlocking the layer. 

I'm not sure this is totally accurate.  With some rare, buggy exceptions, I can select every single line I've ever tried to select.  Maybe it HAS changed...I don't know.  I don't recall having ever had a problem selecting any lines in the past though either. 

You can't select pattern lines, or CAD lines created while in the camera mode, unless that has changed. And generally, you can't select CROSS SECTION lines without unlocking the layer. 

Maybe I misunderstood your comment, Joey, since you do some excellent work in Chief. But I am able to do just the opposite. While in Layout, I can edit most any line except those on locked layers and CAD lines. The CAD lines have to be edited in the camera view in plan. Pattern lines are editable because I often erase too many of them by accident when I am in Layout edit mode. :) Of course the OP is right; any of that done will be lost if the camera view is updated to Layout - except CAD lines.

Mike

Thanks for the replies!

My workflow is: 1) lay down an elevation camera looking at the front of the house, giving me a live elevation view.  2) I add some misc notes to that view, then send it to layout without flattening to a cad detail first. 3) In the layout, I try to use the "edit layout line" tool to get rid of/lengthen/shorten some of the linework, but meet with *mostly* failure to be able to select lines.

Sounds like the consensus is that it should be working for all lines (my layers are not locked), but for whatever reason isn't for me.  I'm working on X7 Mac, so maybe there is a bug - i'll try downloading the windows version to try out.

If my workflow is incorrect here, please chime in and tell me I'm a dummy!

Thx Todd

The "Edit Layout" tool is for adding and subtracting lines produced by the 3D model. LInes drawn manually using 2D CAD tools are not editable using the "Edit Layout" tool. The Edit Layout Tool is only available while working on an open Layout file. Sometimes when sending a view to layout certain unwanted lines can be added or needed lines go missing during the "Send to Layout" process. The Edit Layout tool is for cleaning up those unwanted or missing lines. If one updates an elevation view the "Edit Layout" editing done priorly will be lost and have to be redone, so such work is best done right before printing only.

DJP

OP, I run across some necessary clean-up, including line extensions and deletions, after sending to Layout.  I typically clean these up in PDF format:

• I print Layout file to PDF using Foxit Reader, and edit them in Foxit Phantom Pro. 
  • The Foxit Reader program is like Adobe Reader, their Phantom Pro is like Adobe Acrobat Pro (or whatever they call it now). 
  • I print using F Reader, since for some reason F Phantom Pro gums up the works.

This works great where ext. wall planes create extra/funky vertical or horizontal lines, all kinds of little matters. 

Btw, Phantom Pro is not free, but it's handy in all kinds of pre-press and presentation work.

Thanks for the replies!

My workflow is: 1) lay down an elevation camera looking at the front of the house, giving me a live elevation view.  2) I add some misc notes to that view, then send it to layout without flattening to a cad detail first. 3) In the layout, I try to use the "edit layout line" tool to get rid of/lengthen/shorten some of the linework, but meet with *mostly* failure to be able to select lines.

Sounds like the consensus is that it should be working for all lines (my layers are not locked), but for whatever reason isn't for me.  I'm working on X7 Mac, so maybe there is a bug - i'll try downloading the windows version to try out.

If my workflow is incorrect here, please chime in and tell me I'm a dummy!

Thx Todd

Todd,

Seeing as how I see nothing wrong with your workflow, I would suggest zipping a problematic layout and plan into a folder and attaching them so one of us can take a look.  It may be something you're overlooking.  Otherwise we could at least verify that it does or does not work for us. 

Thanks everyone for your replies and tips - was able to get my project out using a combo of these ideas as well as judicious use of "chief white out" (thanks Wendy).

Just a quick update.  After my project was done, I re-installed from scratch (actually reinstalled OS X too - been a long time since I've had a fresh start), and the layout line tool now works as it should.  Everything is generally snappier as a bonus, so I'm a happy camper again.

Thanks again for your time on this!

Todd