Locking a roof plane prior to auto-rebuild roof?

2wheeltodd

I very often make multiple iterations of changes to the auto-built roof. I experiment with different forms, pitches, etc. and often find myself making the same modifications over and over.

Is there a way to lock a roof plane then auto re-build maintaining the locked plane?

I have not found a way to do so but perhaps a more experienced hand could offer some expertise.

Todd

In the build roof dbx: click build roof planes and then check "retain manually drawn roof planes" &/or "retain edited auto roof planes".

Delete any of the manually drawn/edited ones you want to change first.

You can't use this method and have Auto Roofs on at the same time, but it just means you have to go into the Build Roof DBX and "Build Roof Planes" each time manually if you don't want to loss previous work.

Something else that might be helpful:

You can copy and paste/hold roof planes between plans.  Do a Saveas to create a second copy of your plan.  Then you can always go and get a roof plane back that was redone.

Where this can be useful is if you're not sure exactly which roof planes were edited.  Or just as a fail-safe.

• Upvote 1

Something else that might be helpful:

You can copy and paste/hold roof planes between plans.  Do a Saveas to create a second copy of your plan.  Then you can always go and get a roof plane back that was redone.

Where this can be useful is if you're not sure exactly which roof planes were edited.  Or just as a fail-safe.

Good point Wendy.  I suspect doing extra Save-As of various plan iterations is something most people do not fully appreciate or take advantage of.  It cannot be overstated what a HUGE time saver it is.

The moment you decide to head down a different road design-wise, do a Save-As to give the plan a new name.  If I'm pretty sure I'm just messing around with options I'll name it something like Temp Plan.  If I think it might be something that sticks or something I might want to go back to I'll name it  'Smith Res 2" and then "Smith Res 3" and so on.  If you keep all those plans in one folder its super easy to clean them up at any time. 

I do much the same thing. When I start a plan

I give it a name and assign it #1, for example

Joe Blow's House-1. Then as I make any type

of significant progress I immediately do a save

as and assign it the next higher number in the

sequence (i.e. Joe Blow's House-2). When the

plan is done I do a final save as and just use

the job name without a number ( Joe Blow's

House). Now I have the plan and all the steps

it took to arrive at the final version. If storage

is an issue you can always go back and delete

all the numbered iterations.

........ If storage

is an issue you can always go back and delete

all the numbered iterations......

Are you kidding Rich,  I have a 43.67 kadoodleterra byte size hard drive.  I could put the entire Library of Congress on my 'puter.

I have progressed mightily from the 40meg hard drive that was on my MAC SE30 BACK IN 1989.......  jeez......  am I really that old?  I wonder if my wife is going to put me down in a humanely way soon........

Are you kidding Rich,  I have a 43.67 kadoodleterra byte size hard drive.  I could put the entire Library of Congress on my 'puter.

I have progressed mightily from the 40meg hard drive that was on my MAC SE30 BACK IN 1989.......  jeez......  am I really that old?  I wonder if my wife is going to put me down in a humanely way soon........

Yeah Scott,

Nice to not to deal with Vacuum tubes and switch out those 8" floppy disks....

Our system - THE plan always has the same name.  Smith Residence.plan maybe.  The Saveas's get the longer archival name.  Smith Residence first roof design.plan maybe.

Well, that's theoretically the system.  We do end up with Smith Residence try this roof.plan and Smith Residence the other roof.plan.  

Hence my warning about being careful!  If you go down this road, pick a system for naming and stick to it relentlessly.  And watch your layout plan attachments.  Chief will appear to attach your Saveas'd plan if the layout is open, but not so much.  

As the killer in Dirty Harry says when he sees Clint's .44 Magnum;

"My, that's a big one". ;)  I thought Jon was the unofficial leader in

hard drive storage at 12 terabytes but 43+ Kad's sounds impressive.

Not exactly sure where it fits into the list though.

Image8_zpsuaolkhk7.png

As the killer in Dirty Harry says when he sees Clint's .44 Magnum;

"My, that's a big one". ;)  I though Jon was the unofficial leader in

hard drive storage at 12 terabytes but 43+ Kad's sounds impressive.

Not exactly sure where it fits into the list though.

Image8_zpsuaolkhk7.png

Rich,  you are almost as funny as Alan L.  

FYI,  a kadoodleterra is approximately a zetta to the third power.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...