Elevation cross section line display

Alaskan_Son

Go to solution Solved by Alaskan_Son,

Okay, so it seems there should be an easy way to do this, but I can't for the life of me find any way to hide a modified cross section line with hiding the whole camera/callout or adding a CAD patch 

Not something I've ever needed or used before now, but I've recently discovered and started to utilize the ability to cut and reshape cross section lines.  As soon as the line is modified however, it is displayed in plan view as a solid line.  I can change the line style in layer settings but this affects the callout display as well.  There seems to be a setting for cross section line in the camera dbx but I can't seem to find any way to select and change it...its grayed out and I can't find anywhere in defaults or preferences to access it. 

I'm assuming its something simple that I'm missing.  Any help would be appreciated. 

post-46-0-01551800-1442517472_thumb.png

..... As soon as the line is modified however, it is displayed in plan view as a solid line. 

I DO NOT EXPERIENCE THIS

I can change the line style in layer settings but this affects the callout display as well. 

NOT MY EXPERIENCE,  THE LAYER CONTROLS THE LINE WEIGHT ETC OF THE BUBBLE BUT YOU CAN CONTROL THE LINE WEIGHT AND STYLY OF THE ACTUAL CROSS SECTION LINE PER YOUR DBX YOU ARE SHOWIN

There seems to be a setting for cross section line in the camera dbx but I can't seem to find any way to select and change it...its grayed out and I can't find anywhere in defaults or preferences to access it. 

I DO NOT GET THE GRAYED OUT BOX

I'm assuming its something simple that I'm missing.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Michael,  post a small plan and I will take a look.

Thanks Scott,

Here's a quick example...

Here you go,  you have to change it to a line on BOTH SIDES,  note I can control line weight for the bubble and the line independently.

But the answer is it must be both sides and not centered.

As an option,  Michael pointed out you can select left or right in lieu of both sides and then relocate  the section bubble to the center if you prefer.

post-50-0-49697300-1442518946_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

Here you go,  you have to change it to a line on BOTH SIDES,  note I can control line weight for the bubble and the line independently.

Not sure I like that answer but it is helpful none the less.  As it turns out, it will also work if you select right or left side...just not centered.  I guess what I'll do is select either right or left and then move the callout back to where I want it (essentially centering it). 

Thank you Scott, not exactly what I was hoping but that got me where I needed to be : )

• Upvote 1

Michael:

In the Cross Section/Elevation Camera Specification dbx, you have a bullet in the "Center" Placement position. If you temporarily change the bullet to one of the other options (Left Side, Right Side or Both Sides), you can then access the Cross Section Line Style to make any desired changes to it. I think that if you wanted to change the color or the line style of the callout itself, you make those changes using the Active Layer Display Options for the Cameras layer. Of course you could add other camera layers if you wanted to have different callout line styles or colors for different things.

• Downvote 1

Yup ... I see that ... should have spotted that. Anyway, sounds like you're good to go. Sometimes it seems like some of the easy stuff to do in Chief is the hardest to figure out. I just went through this very question with my last project and still couldn't remember exactly how I did things without going back in and checking it out all over again.

• 4 months later...
  • Solution

Here you go, you have to change it to a line on BOTH SIDES, note I can control line weight for the bubble and the line independently.

As an option, Michael pointed out you can select left or right in lieu of both sides and then relocate the section bubble to the center if you prefer.

Not sure I like that answer but it is helpful none the less. As it turns out, it will also work if you select right or left side...just not centered. I guess what I'll do is select either right or left and then move the callout back to where I want it (essentially centering it).

Thank you Scott, not exactly what I was hoping but that got me where I needed to be : )

I'm resurrecting an old thread because I stumbled across a new piece of information.

Had a situation where I needed to put 2 breaks in a cross section line...

post-46-0-13593500-1453530973_thumb.png

Moving the callout to either the left or the right and dragging back wasn't an option so I started digging a little deeper. Turns out, you can change the callout location to either left, right, or both sides, change the cross section line style to the blank line style and then change the callout location right back to centered.

post-46-0-95533300-1453531201_thumb.pngpost-46-0-65191800-1453531318_thumb.png

Very sneaky

I actually like cutting through the cabinets at the ends.

Sometimes maybe, it depends on what all is going on.  Anyway, point is that there are purposes to breaking the elevation line (cutting around various fixtures, furniture, etc. while still leaving the callout label in place, AND without the extra lines cluttering up the plan.