help with multiple pitches on roof

BeeoHat

Go to solution Solved by CJSpud,

I'm having a devil of a time trying to change a pitch on a portion of my garage roof.  As shown in the image, I have a small gable wall section one side of the roof. When I open up the dialogue box, and increase the pitch of this roof section, there is no change. Whenever I change the pitch of the rest of the roof, by selecting all wall sections except the gable piece, all pitches change, including the gable section.

Is there some order I must follow to accomplish this?? :(

post-567-0-27197600-1396983484_thumb.jpg

• Solution

If your small gable is the only two roof planes you want to change, select both of them, then lock the fascia top setting and plug in your new pitch. Since your gable is to be steepened, you'll need to rejoin the gable roof planes to the main roof planes by selecting each gable roof plane near the valley intersection - hit the number 2 key (shortcut for join roof planes) - then select the larger roof plane on the opposite side of the valley .... then repeat the process for the opposite side.  That should be all there is to it.

• Upvote 2

To keep things so that the roof will build automatically, I would remove the seperate piece of gable wall and make it all one wall.

To get the gabel roof to generate over that bit of wall, use a Gable/Roof Line. 

This will keep everything so that you can retain the auto roof building.

The reason you cant control the roof pitch by the gabel wall is that......da, da,.....it is a gable wall and gable walls can't hold roof information.

He wants his gable with a steeper pitch than the rest of the roof.  I don't see a way of doing an auto-build where one can specify in the gable line dialog, a pitch for the gable planes.  The pitch is set by the wall over which the gable lies.

Maybe we should suggest to Chief, an enhancement for the next build?

This is straight forward -- Use the gable line tool in front of the window or whatever. -- However this tool only uses the pitch set in the default build roof tool.

Build the roof in auto. Then select the gable planes, open and set their pitch to whatever you want. then reconnect each plane with the main roof plane with the join tool. No need for manual planes other than the reconnection.

Many thanks for all contributions. Special thanks to Curt Johnson, whose clear directions were easily followed and the results were perfect. :)  :)

In the future, just bear in mind it took a lot of guesses to give you an answer that may have only taken one had your posted a plan.  Not trying to be rude, its just a fact. 

Thanks BeeoHat ... glad I could help.

And thank you Bill ... I thought I knew what the simple solution to BeeoHat's problem was and it sounds like my solution was what was needed.  On many occasions I have either misunderstood what a person's question was or I didn't completely read the post and got off on the wrong direction with my answer.  I am going to have to pay more attention to dishing out reputation points myself as I get a lot of good tips from other users for using Chief.  That experience that is passed down more than likely took a lot of practice and study in using Chief and everyone that passes their knowledge on to others needs to be thanked .... and given some of those reputation points.  I guess I will have to read up on how to do those RP's ... is that what the green arrow does?