Production Drawings and Cut Lists for Walls

duckbill4375

Many years ago I used Solidbuilder Software. I was framing houses at that time and you could get some awesome Production Drawings and Cut Lists for walls. I would set up a shop and start framing the walls before the foundation was done. It worked out pretty well. I would help the Foundation Crews layout the foundations so we did not have any surprises. Can we get these same Production Drawings and Cut Lists from Chief Architect? Those drawings from Solidbuilder would be automatic.

Solidbuilder seems to really shine when it comes to "intelligent" framing tools, panel optimization, cut lists, etc. chief architect definitely has its strong points as well but it's not in those areas.

I would call Chief architect a designer or architect's tool and solid builder a framer or builder's tool.

Michael,

Chief does a pretty good job of doing wall framing details and cut lists automatically.

Where do you see the problems?

I wouldn't say I see any "problems" per se. It's just a different tool than Solidbuilder in my opinion. Try pulling up a few solid builder videos if you can find some and you'll see what I'm talking about. Similar things can be done is Chief but not nearly as automatically.

I would love if you could prove me wrong because if there's a way chief can create automatic cut lists and perform panel optimization I can use it for a lot more than I do now.

Michael,

That was sneaky.

You threw in panel optimisation which wasn't mentioned by the OP.

He asked for framing production drawings and cut lists - both of which Chief can do automatically.

And yes, Chief isn't Solidbuilder, so you should expect Chief to do it differently.

Duckbill4375 and Michael

Chief can do auto framing and produce an auto wall framing detail which you can edit if needed.

Best to have a look in the manual to save me explaining.

Chief can also do cut lists in association with the Materials List.

There is a setting in Defaults where you can set it up and customize the output.

Once again, search for cut lists/buy lists in the manual, or go straight to the defaults and look for the appropriate section.

Michael,

That was sneaky.

You threw in panel optimisation which wasn't mentioned by the OP.

He asked for framing production drawings and cut lists - both of which Chief can do automatically.

And yes, Chief isn't Solidbuilder, so you should expect Chief to do it differently.

Duckbill4375 and Michael

Chief can do auto framing and produce an auto wall framing detail which you can edit if needed.

Best to have a look in the manual to save me explaining.

Chief can also do cut lists in association with the Materials List.

There is a setting in Defaults where you can set it up and customize the output.

Once again, search for cut lists/buy lists in the manual, or go straight to the defaults and look for the appropriate section.

Sorry Glenn, I wasn't trying to be sneaky.  The OP didn't mention panel optimization specifically, but its kinda part of the whole cut list thing in Solid Builder as I understand it. 

I still think we're comparing apples and oranges here.  I stick by what I said earlier...You can get the same results from Chief, but it takes a lot more work and isn't nearly as automatic. 

Does that make Solid Builder a better program?  No.  Just a different tool, more specifically designed with another purpose and specialization in mind. 

Come to think of it, I think I might see this differently than you do Glenn because we were a high production framing company for a number of years and did quite a bit of work exactly like the OP described (with pre-panelized walls) and so my idea of an automatic cut list (including the information I might want to see and how it is displayed) come from a little different perspective.