Deck/Room Will Not build Over Roof?

HumbleChief

Could it have something to do with the fact that the roof plane below (in your original post) is detached from any kind of room? 

I spent a little time messing with it and wasn't able to figure it out for you either, however what I did notice was that everything is fine when that roof plane is moved to above the deck.  It seems like the roof plane is attaching itself to the "deck" room above. 

Could it have something to do with the fact that the roof plane below (in your original post) is detached from any kind of room? 

I spent a little time messing with it and wasn't able to figure it out for you either, however what I did notice was that everything is fine when that roof plane is moved to above the deck.  It seems like the roof plane is attaching itself to the "deck" room above. 

Thanks Michael,

Placed inv. walls and defined a room - same behavior. Tried re-building the roof, no change. Not sure I've ever come across this before.

Nice Perry! I didn't use a deck because they always give me trouble. Did you notice it's all good except the one railing wall nearest the roof? The roof seems to kill that railing wall as well.

Have you seen this behavior before? Is it expected? Not sure I've run into this exact behavior before.

THANKS!!

Larry,

I still don't have acces to Chief, so I can't have a play.

But, could it have anything to do with the HEIGHT of the roof?

As you drag the roof ridge back, don't forget that the ridge is also getting higher and may be interfering with something else, maybe the deck?

To test, try dropping the roof a bit and then drag the ridge back again.

Just a guess

Nice Perry! I didn't use a deck because they always give me trouble. Did you notice it's all good except the one railing wall nearest the roof? The roof seems to kill that railing wall as well.

Have you seen this behavior before? Is it expected? Not sure I've run into this exact behavior before.

THANKS!!

Larry

I really didn't look at anything else and saw what you are talking about, try to drag an extension around the corner, or you might need to use a symbol there.

good luck. I have never tried it before just like that.

Jon

I just locked all the deck framing in the layerset and made sure that the rebuild deck was unchecked.

Arrrrgh!

I wish I had Chief to play with.

Probably not a bug, just the way Chief handles roofs, rooms, walls, etc.

There will be a solution that will work.

Probably to do with a room definition, wall definition, etc.

But, without Chief, I am flying blindfolded.

In Larry's vid, as he dragged the ridge, it looked like it was approaching the deck level above.

Here is a project I did recently.  The deck is over the roof.  The roof is drawn on level one,  the deck on level 2,  It did work,  I do not think I had to do anything special.  The trick was utilizing the ref sets.

Thanks Scott,

It seems like I've done this a thousand times with no problems, but I guess not exactly like this plan.

Okay,  I ain't going to get too detailed,  (Perry came up with a solution),........  but.......  CA,  WILL YOU PLEASE FIGURE OUT A WAY TO DEAL WITH THE STORY POLES FOR LARRY?

Larry,  the problem is with your floor defaults and such.  You have admitted that you are having  problems with it and this is further evidence of this.  Take a look at the pic I have attached.....  oh heck,  I will attach the plan......  it is too difficult to explain what I did....  but I bet if spent enough time on it,  I could make it behave....  look at my pic....  note that my deck is buried into the roof,  a more desirable result than what you have......  

If enough people are interested,  I will do a workshop on the floors defaults and such.....  once in a while I have issues,  but usually I can muddle my way through it because I KEEP TO THE DEFAULTS......  I get it....  not easy....

post-50-0-44994400-1442433574_thumb.png

bbb for larry.plan.zip

Okay,  I ain't going to get too detailed,  (Perry came up with a solution),........  but.......  CA,  WILL YOU PLEASE FIGURE OUT A WAY TO DEAL WITH THE STORY POLES FOR LARRY?

Larry,  the problem is with your floor defaults and such.  You have admitted that you are having  problems with it and this is further evidence of this.  Take a look at the pic I have attached.....  oh heck,  I will attach the plan......  it is too difficult to explain what I did....  but I bet if spent enough time on it,  I could make it behave....  look at my pic....  note that my deck is buried into the roof,  a more desirable result than what you have......  

If enough people are interested,  I will do a workshop on the floors defaults and such.....  once in a while I have issues,  but usually I can muddle my way through it because I KEEP TO THE DEFAULTS......  I get it....  not easy....

Scott, Good call and probably true with that plan. I diligently set all my defaults and worked things through using them to great advantage - then - they were all different. NOT making that up. I had 130" default floor heights when I had them set to 97". The upstairs had reverted to all kinds of strange numbers. There was a 69" room height and much weirdness.

I went back through and redefined everything back to the original defaults, but the problem didn't change so I didn't think that was the problem.

Plan with proper floor heights.

DECK OVER ROOF.plan