CAD Details - layers/layout etc

johnny

Graeme,

That's the beauty of saving the details in CAD Windows.  Each CAD Window can be individually named and individually edited.  You can also copy the detail to a new CAD Window. and make modifications to it.  These Warehouse Plans for Details are very small since there's almost nothing in them but 2D CAD.

I'll take Perry's method. 

I just do too many jobs that vary greatly from one another.  I keep all my details in the library and do the organizing there - like Wall details, Eve details, Roof, Foundation, etc.; then use what I need placed in plan details keeping every thing plan specific that include changes - then send to layout. 

Occasionally I'll have a job that is somewhat similar to one in the past.  That being the case, I will go back and snag the detail sheet and copy it forward to the new plan I am working on.  I hadn't thought about plan file bloating, which I suppose could potentially be a problem, it just hasn't been one for me.

It has occurred to me to create groups of details and place them into the library e.g. 2 story house details, basement, and so on.  For my part I prefer producing annotated sections, which I consider more applicable to the building process.  I just don't have a lot of time wrapped up in details. 

My biggest time hog is the electrical tools.

• Upvote 1

Okay,  so Johnny and Rob started this mess,  there is not a go to method for doing CAD details.....  the beauty of individuality......  I think I can count 6 different methods,  of course I think my method is the best,  but who cares.......  

you know,  maybe one day we can do a workshop on this and compare methods......  it just seems that there must be "The Method".......  putting CAD details in a plan is not rocket science.....

I have been doing it since 1975 and Joe Carrick has been doing it since 1875......  Joe's the best,  thanks Joe for all your help with the macros,  much appreciated by me and I am sure by the other folk.

"Okay,  so Johnny and Rob started this mess"

Glad i could be partly responsible for something. ;) 

Been meaning to get up to the UGM in Idaho again - maybe next year.

​This could be a nice little spin off topic for one of the advanced sessions.