CAD Details - layers/layout etc

johnny

I'm very confused over something related to CAD details. It appears that a CA project file has its own CAD details and the layout file that goes with the main file has another set. Can someone help me understand why and when you would use one over the other and vice versa?

- Also, am I limited to bringing a Cad detail located in my main project file only into a Layout file?

- Is there a good reason why we can't bring a Cad detail into a main project file and display the same way we would in Layout (like a blocked item)?

-Lastly, is the "save-as" method the only method someone can use to transfer CAD details to new project files in an easy step? (without copying individually)

Again, thanks in advance.

Johnny,

CAD Detail Windows are unique to each .plan and .layout.  They are simply 2D CAD Windows within your working file(s).  You can send the contents to Layout or not, depending on what you're using them for.  Note that you can send anything from any .plan to any .layout.  If you have (as I do) several plans containing actual details, etc that you want to use in any project, you can send them to the .layout for that project. 

It's very flexible.

The one thing you can not do is send from one layout to another layout - because you can't have 2 layout files open at the same time.

I'm very confused over something related to CAD details. It appears that a CA project file has its own CAD details and the layout file that goes with the main file has another set. Can someone help me understand why and when you would use one over the other and vice versa?

IT IS AN EXAMPLE OF CA'S FLEXIBILITY,  USE THE CAD DETAIL FOR LAYOUT OR USE THE CAD DETAIL FOR PLAN FILE OR USE THEM BOTH

- Also, am I limited to bringing a Cad detail located in my main project file only into a Layout file?

NO

- Is there a good reason why we can't bring a Cad detail into a main project file and display the same way we would in Layout (like a blocked item)?

NO 

-Lastly, is the "save-as" method the only method someone can use to transfer CAD details to new project files in an easy step? (without copying individually)

PROBABLY NOT

Again, thanks in advance.

The more I know the more difficult it is to answer these kinds of questions.  

It's like when my client asks,  "can I build a 120 sf deck above my house and paint it pink and support it with one 3-1/2" dia. steel column?"

answer...  "errrr,  if you have enough money,  you can do almost anything,  but is it the best way to achieve what you want?"

I am sure you get my drift JPC.

It's these kinds of questions that are great,  but there is no easy answer,  I feel like somehow we need to get a list of these questions,  get a bunch of users together and discuss the pros and cons.  But it will probably never happen.

Thanks Guys! - actually this CAD Detail option is a really good feature for me to use my "arch notes" in since I often change them per-project slightly.  Wendy's method of having a central file that doesn't change won't work for my needs, but I can see where that would work for many.

So if I understand Joe there isn't a direct way to copy the group of CAD Details from one plan file to the other, but I can combine into Layout file.

You can also open a CAD Window, marque select and copy/paste to a new CAD Window in another Plan or Layout.  There's a lot of ways to "skin a cat", but be careful with the "Scale".  Layouts are at a scale of 1:1 while Plans are usually at a scale of 1/4" = 1'-0" for Imperial Units.  Copying between them will usually require re-sizing.

Johnny,

I like putting construction details into CAD Details in LAYOUT, so they don't bloat the main plan file size. Also, keep in mind that each CAD Detail can have a different scale. Personally, I think that CAD details in layouts are the best place to keep standard details. (with a duplicate copy in the User Library, just in case.) You can have a CAD detail for foundation details at 1"=1', and another CAD detail for countertop edges at full scale, etc., then delete the ones you don't need.

To add more confusion along the lines of sdhall's above.  You also can, and I often do, pull flattened views from other 3D modeling programs and place them directly into camera veiws to be sent to a Layout View.

What I would love to see is the ability to have CAD Details represented as Camera Callouts that could be sent to layout showing the Layout page info the way Camera Callouts do.  Lots of options, and might I say, more please.

Throwing this out mainly to see if there is any real negative to the way I do it.

I keep all my cad details in a couple of plan files along with my base layout.

These are stored in a file called layout X6.

Then I copy my base layout to the new plan file for each job.

When individual details need revising for job specific conditions I open the original detail- copy it and drop it into a new

cad detail in the new plan and revise, then replace in layout.

All details are saved in user library as well.

It has proved reliable so far but would like opinions.

Throwing this out mainly to see if there is any real negative to the way I do it.

I keep all my cad details in a couple of plan files along with my base layout.

These are stored in a file called layout X6.

Then I copy my base layout to the new plan file for each job.

When individual details need revising for job specific conditions I open the original detail- copy it and drop it into a new

cad detail in the new plan and revise, then replace in layout.

All details are saved in user library as well.

It has proved reliable so far but would like opinions.

If you want some opinions,  maybe you can state why you put the details in a separate file vs putting the details in layout.  If you make a statement,  maybe others will pipe in and explain why your method is not as good as a different method.

-Why wouldn't you put them in a CAD detail in the plan file?

-Why wouldn't you send the details directly to layout like Perry and Richard do?

-Why do you think it is better to put in a separate plan file vs the Direct To Layout method.

-Why wouldn't you use CA's method....  BTW,  what is CA's method?

Stick your foot in the water and create a ripple,  I bet you will start a very interesting discussion.

Scott-

Not sure if there were real concrete reasons for the system i have created- just kind or started this way and ran with it.

In reply to your questions

Why wouldn't you put them in a CAD detail in the plan file?

I keep them in their own plan file- is there a reason that I should have all details that I need to show on layout pages copied into every plan file that I create?

Seems like a lot of duplication

-Why wouldn't you send the details directly to layout like Perry and Richard do?

I do send the cad details to layout- my base layout and then copy that layout file to each new plan file on a job by job basis

-Why do you think it is better to put in a separate plan file vs the Direct To Layout method.

Not sure what the direct to layout method is vs. what i am doing now

-Why wouldn't you use CA's method....  BTW,  what is CA's method

Do not know what the recommended CA method is. 

Pretty much my basis for jumping in on this thread. :D

Scott-

Not sure if there were real concrete reasons for the system i have created- just kind or started this way and ran with it.

I TOO SELECTED A SYSTEM AFTER SOME EXPERIMENTATION......  BTW,  IF I UNDERSTAND YOU SYSTEM,  IT IS THE SAME AS MINE

In reply to your questions

Why wouldn't you put them in a CAD detail in the plan file?

I keep them in their own plan file- is there a reason that I should have all details that I need to show on layout pages copied into every plan file that I create?

Seems like a lot of duplication

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING HERE,  BUT WHATEVER YOU ARE SAYING,  I AGREE....  NOT A GOOD METHOD

I do send the cad details to layout- my base layout and then copy that layout file to each new plan file on a job by job basis

NOW I AM CONFUSED,  PERRY AND RICHARD DO NOT HAVE A SEPARATE  PLAN FILE FOR DETAILS.......  I DON'T THINK THEY DO......  

Not sure what the direct to layout method is vs. what i am doing now

YEA,  I AM NOT SURE WHAT THE DIRECT LAYOUT METHOD IS....  MAYBE THAT WAS A TRICK QUESTION

-Why wouldn't you use CA's method....  BTW,  what is CA's method

Do not know what the recommended CA method is. 

Pretty much my basis for jumping in on this thread. :D

GOT IT

I have been thinking about the Perry/Richard method comparing it to the method I think you and I use.  

And please Perry and Richard forgive me here,  your system works for you........  

It just seems to me that the details in a separate plan file is much easier to manipulate than what I think is the P/R method which if I understand correctly is EACH DETAIL IS SENT TO LAYOUT INDIVIDUALLY,  whereas the separate plan file method means that the plan file is sent once to layout yet it can have multiple details.   And then someone may talk about different scales for the details....  no problem with the Rob/Scott method.

Anyway,  I am trying to stimulate a debate discussing the best method.   And I get it,  everybody has their own way of doing things,  but sometimes  with a little discussion, most users can see the benefits of one system over another system.

I am always open to better methods.

No problem, I just use my method b/c, when I started to use Chief, I installed all my thousands of details from another program and didn't have time to re-draw any of them.So I imported them, turns out there was some fix-up, anyway, so I did it a little each day.

Perry-

I want to make sure i understand this correctly.

You don't have details in your standard layout template?

You create a plan and have a layout saved in the same file and then pull the details you need for that project from your library into that particular plan and the send them to layout?

Perry-

I want to make sure i understand this correctly.

Not all of them, just the ones that I use  in every plan

You don't have details in your standard layout template?

Yes, I do , but most are in my lib.

You create a plan and have a layout saved in the same file and then pull the details you need for that project from your library into that particular plan and the send them to layout?

Yes, I only send details from my lib.to the layout.I never keep any details in a cad detail with the plan b/c that will add unwanted bulk to the plan, but what Scott does is good for that.

There are many ways of doing these things.  It seems that each user has their own way - so it's whatever works for you. 

This is my system - I use this as a way to:

A.  Minimize the amount of stuff stored in the .plan file for each Project.

1.  CAD Detail Windows for:

Appliance Schedule (present to Layout)

Cabinet Schedule (present to Layout)

Door Schedule (present to Layout)

Electrical Schedule (present to Layout)

Plan Notes Schedule

Roof Schedule (present to Layout)

Plumbing & HVAC Schedule (present to Layout)

Room Finish Schedule (present to Layout)

Vent Schedule

Window Schedule (present to Layout)

Truss Details (Chief will make these automatically)

Site Area Analysis Table (present to Layout)

Bldg Area Analysis Table (present to Layout)

Miscellaneous Notes with Arrows, etc (copy/paste resource)

2.  Warehouse Plans for Standard Details:

- each of these plans is a working plan for creating the details

- once the detail has been created it's copied to a named CAD Window

Foundation Details

Door Details

Window Details

Roof Details

Framing Details

- I send only the appropriate details from these plans to the Project Layout

B.  Is easy to keep organized so I can find what needs to be sent to Layout

C.  Minimize what needs to be added or subtracted from the Layout

D.  Minimize what I need to store in the Library.

I have each detail in their own plan file, which I then send to layout. I do however have the main ones I use in most projects already linked to my template file which I save as each time. if I dont need a particular detail I just delete it from the project layout or if I need a similar detail I just relink that detail, then copy in the other details as reqd.

I think similar to Joe but mine not quite as organised.

All very interesting.

(Scott was right on track about opening a dialog for the different methods.)

Joe- I am guessing that when you say "CAD detail window" and "present to layout" you are referring to the active plan file for the project.

Then the "Warehouse plans" would be similar to what I am doing by keeping my details in plan files in folders with my base layouts.

When I am ready to send drawings to layout for a particular job I copy the base layout that has the details on it from my "Warehouse plans" to the job file. That way the layout file can reference both plan files.

Does this sound similar to the way you keep the details linked to the individual job files?

I have each detail in their own plan file,

THAT SOUNDS NUTTY OR I AM MISUNDERSTANDING WHAT YOU ARE DOING....  IF YOU HAVE 10 DETAILS ARE YOU SAYING YOU  HAVE 10 DIFFERENT PLAN FILES?  IOW,  A PLAN FILE FOR EACH DETAIL

Yep Rob,  that is why I find it helpful to throw this stuff out there and see what sticks,  many different methods.

Ya-

One plan file for each detail- My machine and my brain would be overwhelmed.

This conversation was a little outside my interest zone until this statement...

Whoa!  That sounds crazy.  If that works for you than have at it, but I don't see any benefit other than perhaps easier sorting.  That could be done using the project browser in one single plan though. 

Ya-

One plan file for each detail- My machine and my brain would be overwhelmed.

WOW!  I find that hard to believe.  I wonder how many other users use a separate plan file for each detail.  Seriously,  if it works for you great,  but I bet I can show you how to put all details in one plan file which makes managing the details easier...  at least I would think it makes managing detail easier.

My brain and machine would be overwhelmed trying to keep track of as many as 30 or 40 different plan files...... I will keep an open mind if you do.

I tried having multiple details in one plan file, but I kept having to change 1 of them or delete 1 of them. It became a PITA so I have mostly gone to individual plan files for each detail. exceptions are one like window flashings where there is always a head,sill and jamb which always use all 3 so that makes a whole sheet.

Since we have to detail each and every junction without showing a condition that does not appear on the particular project I find it much easier. then if I have a similar situation but slightly different for some reason I can just "save as" the one detail and alter then relink . As every project is different re style of arcitecture, ground conditions, cladding type it is the easiest way and does not slow the computer down like "cad details" used to.