Having a hard time cutting a hole in a polyline solid today?

zowie123

Hey all,

I'm doing it the same way I've always done it, but for some reason it's not working today.  I've tried several times, converting back in forth between line and polyline, encompassing and not encompassing...

Anyone have any other tricks when it's tenaciously not wanting to work?

Thank you, Barry

Hey all,

I'm doing it the same way I've always done it, but for some reason it's not working today.  I've tried several times, converting back in forth between line and polyline, encompassing and not encompassing...

Anyone have any other tricks when it's tenaciously not wanting to work?

Thank you, Barry

Hey Barry,

I can't help but notice you never seem to post any kind of plan or screenshot to help us understand and better assess your issues.  Is there a reason for that?

I'd like to be able to help, but how are we supposed to know how you've "always done it"?  I further don't know what you mean by encompassing vs. not encompassing and don't know why you would have to convert back and forth between line and polyline. 

There are a number of ways to achieve your goal depending on what you're trying to do.  A whole bunch of other things come into play too.  Are you actually using a polyline solid or a solid?  Are you trying to create the hole via the polyline solid toolbar or using another polyline solid ( or solid)?  Are you trying to do all the work in plan view or an elevation?  Or are you starting in one view and then trying to cut a hole in the other?... 

I encounter this issue intermittently, I thought it was more common.   I spoke with Nigel at tech support, he's very familiar with the issue, he said to turn the lines back into 2D  polylines then back into polyline solids.  He said it's not a perfect science.  It works about 90% of the time, it's a glitch with the program.  I wasn't successful with that approach, going to restart and see if that helps.  

It's a polyline solid within a polyline solid, the inner one with hole in p-sollid checked, lines touching on both sides from 2d view,  all the way it usually works, but just not working.

Will include pictures next time, was on my way to a meeting. 

Cheers! Barry

It seems it's more reliable when both polylines are at their default thickness.  To change thickness, I clicked on both the hole and solid and changed them both at the same time.  I was essentially doing the same thing manually which works most of the time, but it's being fickle today.  Gremlins.  

Its just a very brief exploration of the subject and by no means does it cover all the different techniques and options that can be utilized to reach the same end, but here is a quick video showing my initial thoughts on the subject.

Please bear with me...this is only like my 3rd video and my first with sound.  I'm not the best speaker in the world so it might be kinda crappy...but I'm giving it a shot anyway.  

http://screencast.com/t/bpccgJPZu

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Its just a very brief exploration of the subject and by no means does it cover all the different techniques and options that can be utilized to reach the same end, but here is a quick video showing my initial thoughts on the subject.

Please bear with me...this is only like my 3rd video and my first with sound.  I'm not the best speaker in the world so it might be kinda crappy...but I'm giving it a shot anyway.  

http://screencast.com/t/bpccgJPZu

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the  video...I've been chasing deadlines on multiple projects and hadn't seen it until now.    I am familiar with the process and limitations, but it just wasn't working that day. I was just wondering if anyone else has had intermittent issues with the hole tool?  It seems possible that it's constrained by something some times.

None the less thank you for the great followup.  

Cheers! Barry 

I thought you might understand the process. Your original post was just extremely vague and had no screenshots, plan, or method description so it was hard to tell. Anyway, I figure even if the video doesn't help you it might help someone else and it usually helps me too.

"Cheers" to you as well :)