Custom Texture & Sizing?

dbkb0227

I downloaded a stone image from a manufactures website to put on the fireplace as a new texture. I have messed with the scale of the texture every way I can think of to show the texture properly. How do I scale the texture so it doesn't look like a tiled image on the walls? I have attached an image showing the "tiled" look I'm referring to. Thanks for the help!

post-3185-0-35360200-1442184700_thumb.jpg

Good texture files are large. The larger the texture file the better. Scaling is not the most important factor. How the texture is cropped determines how it looks when applied to a surface. The texture has to be large enough and skillfully cropped so that when it repeats, it is less noticeable.

DJP

This You Tube video may be helpful to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy2cwSV0Iys

I downloaded a stone image from a manufactures website to put on the fireplace as a new texture. I have messed with the scale of the texture every way I can think of to show the texture properly. How do I scale the texture so it doesn't look like a tiled image on the walls? I have attached an image showing the "tiled" look I'm referring to. Thanks for the help!

The images will need to be photoshopped into a seamless texture in order to remove the 'tiled' effect. Scale and size won't have a desired effect in this case.

Does anybody know if "paint" in windows 8 will work before I purchase Photoshop? I'm trying it now, but I don't know if I'm doing it correctly because it still looks "tiled".

I use GIMP to do most of my textures. There are even a few plugins that work well with it. You can download it from here:

http://www.gimp.org/

Also, you may take a look at this app, it does a decent job with most images:

http://www.bundysoft.com/wiki/doku.php?id=projects:johnj

OK......I have to admit.......I have no idea what I'm doing with GIMP (photoshop). I opened the image in GIMP......I've cropped it, cut it, resized it, etc. etc......and then exported it to my desktop. When I create a texture with the new image, I still get the "tile" effect, when I apply it to the fireplace wall. I'm really not sure what to do from this point. Is there an answer? Should I export it from GIMP as a different file format? HELP!!!

OK......I have to admit.......I have no idea what I'm doing with GIMP (photoshop). I opened the image in GIMP......I've cropped it, cut it, resized it, etc. etc......and then exported it to my desktop. When I create a texture with the new image, I still get the "tile" effect, when I apply it to the fireplace wall. I'm really not sure what to do from this point. Is there an answer? Should I export it from GIMP as a different file format? HELP!!!

It sounds like you don't fully understand the concept

of a "seamless texture". What you have to do in GIMP

or PS or PSP is edit the edges of the texture so that

when they are tiled they flow seamlessly from one tile

to the next. Just cropping or resizing won't accomplish

the effect you desire. Suggest you Google "Seamless

Textures". You can find tutorials that explain the process

for different image editors. Creating flawless seamless

textures is somewhat of an art form. The attached

thumbnail shows a seamless texture applied to a wall.

post-126-0-02443300-1442296121_thumb.png

In my opinion that particular image is going to be extremely difficult to turn into a seamless texture and even if someone does take the time to do it, it's still going to take on a tiled appearance. That Big Stone on the lower left is simply too distinctive for such a small sample area.

You're going to see that same large recognizable stone repeat itself every 24" (or whatever it is) and you probably won't like it anyway.

I would personally either find a much bigger sample image (of a bigger area) or just use another texture from one of the manufacturer libraries we already have that fits the bill (El Dorado stone for example has a lot to choose from).