A Little More Anno Set Basics

HumbleChief

I'm not understanding the term 'architectural notes' as it seems a bit all encompassing to me. Do you mean plan specific notes? General notes that pertain to most plans? Boiler plate notes that appear on all Layouts?

Architectural notes for me appear on each major drawing sheet.   I've attached an example of a foundation plan with these types of notes - however, this was done in CA and I wasn't familiar with the text formatting properties.  I use architectural notes for most typical call-outs that I want more narrative.  I've found this approach to bringing less errors and less plan clutter.

This is different from structural notes, or combining structural/general notes.

post-75-0-25347700-1442335595_thumb.png

Right now there is no organization method other than what you name them, but we have been asking for some folder type property's to be added to Ruby. You could just copy all your notes to a macro and that's it. Just try to keep your names straight for now

I keep all my standard notes in a separate plan file and just send to each layout from there.

So my regular plan might be Smith Residence.plan

and my notes are in my AFHP Commons.plan

Both get sent to the Smith Residence.layout.

My AFHP Commons.plan has my current standard notes and the same exact notes are sent to every CD layout.  That way if I catch a typo or just make an update to my standard list of notes - it shows up on every set of CDs correctly.

Richard.  That program looks much like the VW note database but I would just like to keep everything in one program.

Keeping everything in one program is nice, but if a little accessory like this can save oodles of time, it's worth it. It pretty much runs in the background, and can be called up just by moving your mouse to the edge of the screen. Copy/paste is really fast from here. For $3, it can save lots of time, and there's even a 30-day free trial.

Does it do rich text?  It might be easier to sort than the macro method as I can see my number of notes being pretty long (as they were previously). 

Wendy's use of a warehouse plan also has its merits.  If I started with this and then Chief did develop a sorting method for its macros I could copy/paste them into that later.  

So many options and I don't want to be typing these notes in more than once.  Copy and paste will be my friend for the foreseeable future.

Does it do rich text?  It might be easier to sort than the macro method as I can see my number of notes being pretty long (as they were previously). 

No, it doesn't do rich text, which is an advantage, I think. The text will take on whatever characteristics you have set up as your default in that anno set. An advantage of this program is that you can name the text block whatever you want, and sort them however you want by dragging the names around in the list. You can even have headings like "Foundation Notes" followed by 10 or 15 foundation-specific notes. Give it a quick try and let's hear what you think.

Richard. I will give the program a try as soon as these 2 CDs are complete. I will also look at the other suggestions (4, I think) and see which may work the fastest for me. I now understand what you mean by plain text being easier and using the Anno set for style and size. My templates, after these 2 drawings will be much more complete.

Joe. I am still not fully up on CAD details and will have to read and watch more videos to fully understand how to use them properly.

I am finding that Chief really ignores this process in the CDs and it shows in the numerous ways users have adapted for drawings. Confusing for newcomers to the program.

Sherry,

CAD Detail Windows are just "holding areas" in the plan or layout files.  They can have any CAD Objects in them (Lines, Arcs, Text, Dimensions, etc.  You can make a new one by using the hotkey Shift-V.  the nice thing about them is that you can drag them to a blank area of the screen and still work on your plan/layout while being able to see them or copy to/from.

This pic shows 2 CAD Windows detached - but they would normally be on the Tabs. 

I wish CA would rename them as just CAD Windows :rolleyes:do people wouldn't have som much trouble understanding

post-47-0-89571500-1442350211_thumb.jpg

I've run into a layerset I can't delete - does anyone know why that is?

If you REALLY want to do cleanup:

1 - Go to your defaults for the various types of views, see what layers they use.

2 - Anno Sets - ditto

3 - Saved views - ditto

4 - and probably a couple of other places too.

If you carefully watch the message it gives when you try to delete, you can then clean out those unwanted layers.