Why do arrows on the layout jump around? How can they be stabilized.

zowie123

Hi all,

When I send  a plan to layout, then use text arrows to point things out, the arrows drawn on the layout sheet shift around whenever the main plan window is resized or sometimes just if it's opened or closed, and sometimes even when you open or close another window on a different page?      It's freaking annoying when on a deadline, and just a huge time waste anytime.

Does anyone know what causes this and how to stop it from happening?  

Perhaps I could block them, but I'm assuming when I unblock to add more, they would jump anyway.  

Thank you for taking the time, I always appreciate the help.

Barry

Barry,

It would really help if you were to attach a plan and layout or at least give some kind of screenshot. I for one dont seem to have any problem like what you're describing.

I would also suggest that perhaps you consider not placing all those notations in layout and place them in the plan instead. Once you get used to doing it that way, I really doubt you'll ever want to go back.

I, like Len and Jon generally place them in the plan before sending but every once in a while I place them in the layout (very rarely). It may help though to have your snaps turned off so that when you place the arrows, they don't attach to a viewport or layout box. May help...maybe not.

Hi all,

When I send  a plan to layout, then use text arrows to point things out, the arrows drawn on the layout sheet shift around whenever the main plan window is resized or sometimes just if it's opened or closed, and sometimes even when you open or close another window on a different page?      It's freaking annoying when on a deadline, and just a huge time waste anytime.

Does anyone know what causes this and how to stop it from happening?  

Barry

I will echo what everyone else has mentioned and say to do it in plan view.  My layouts do not have any text/arrows on them.  They are all Viewports from plans.

They are moving around because one or both ends of the arrow is "attached" to the view window you are re-sizing. 

That is probably correct which is where I was heading. Try turning off snaps and draw your arrows a little farther away from the viewport.

Perhaps I could block them, but I'm assuming when I unblock to add more, they would jump anyway.  

Yes they need to be "blocked" to stop them from pointing every which way.

I disagree about having to do them in plan view only. (Even though that's where they are known not to jump).

When the program first came out, it was recommended to keep your CAD work to a minimum in plan views. After version ten and up came out, that's where the movement problem was first noticed.