Skylights

BryceEngstrom

What are you trying to achieve? 

jon

Well, an automatically generated hole in my ceiling plane that doesn't have a huge gap between it and the shaft would be a good start.  Look at the lines being cut in the ceiling plane at the bottom of the section view.  WTH?

There was a post on Skylights a while back where Scott and perhaps Bill Emery?  played around with the skylight holes etc , not sure they got it perfect though.

edit: found it..... it was Larry Sweeny , Scott did a vid.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/2183-skylight-problem/?hl=skylight

M.

Thanks for that.  Funny, reducing the framing dimension of the ceiling plane was one of the things I did try and got those "shards" Scott talks about in the early part of that video.  Add this to the seemingly endless secret handshakes people complain about with Chief.  I concur with Scott, this really needs to be fixed.

Would you really build square>plumb>square?  My lack of field experience, I guess.  I've always designed it as square, or plumb, or plumb/square, but never anything other than a straight walled shaft.

And yes, skylights/roof attachments needs fixed in CA.  I was just wondering if I might help with a "secret handshake"

jon

Just the fact that they don't cut a clean hole is one thing.  HOW the shaft is cut is a whole other issue and I agree the options don't really allow easy creation of a shaft the way they are typically built.

Will send in a bug report just to add to the list I suppose.

Chief's tools with regard to Skylights, are fairly basic, and I can understand the frustration.  But they do good job of representing the ugly, useless way that they are built in my region. 

That said, forget about using the Chief shaft, and use walls, and ceiling planes to define creative light shafts, and wells; instead of using a tract home tool.

The screen shot shows a trussed roof  with girders to form the well.

post-62-0-46890500-1441943987_thumb.jpg