Light gathering in eaves when raytracing

TSJDesign

Hi all -

Anyone have any tips for keeping light from "gathering" in the eaves (and ceiling corners with interiors) when raytrace rendering?  I get these weird artifacts all the time (day and evening shots) and don't know what I'm doing to produce them, or if its a quirk of the program.  Either way, it makes a lot of raytraces unusable (unless client likes led strip lighting in the eaves that is)...

Attached a 5-pass rendering (dark, but illustrates the problem) which does not get better with more passes.  Would love to hear if anyone else has had this issue, and what the solution might be!

Thanks much!

Todd 

post-2500-0-56987400-1441762217_thumb.jpg

Dinked with this for longer than I should, but found that the interior lights are somehow bleeding through to the upper roof (and perhaps even the garage).  The attached image only has the dining room chandelier turned on, but the upper eave is all lit up.  I checked all my roof joints and wall to roof joints, and everything is tight.  There is no way light, reflected or otherwise, should be reaching that eave given the porch overhang in front of the window is four feet.  

Looks like I'm doing a daylight scene instead to get this out the door, but would love a solution if anyone has any ideas!

Thanks!

Todd

post-2500-0-41752800-1441779422_thumb.jpg

Light bleed is a real issue with the ray traces.  You also see it a lot on interiors.  Sometimes putting a roof on helps stop it.

I run into it when doing kitchens and baths as I am not doing a whole house, just a room or two.  CA REALLY needs to

address this.

Agreed.  This is a pretty major issue.  I do a lot less ray traces in large part because of this one single issue.  Not as much of a problem with the lower quality ray trace settings but then I start to think...whats the point?

Thanks for the replies - I was not sure if I was doing something wrong, or if there was a magic checkbox somewhere tucked away in a menu that I would never have thought of as relevant to ray traces.  

Quick question - what do you mean by "putting a roof on"? There was another comment to the same effect (now apparently deleted) - is there some other procedure besides the roof planes that are already on the building?

-T

I think when people are talking about putting a roof on its in reference to interior renderings. Many of us who do a lot of cabinetry or other interior design never build the foundation, roof, etc...only what's needed for the scenes being rendered. Your example was the opposite of most I've seen...it's usually light coming from outside in, yours is light coming from inside out.