Area analysis Macro Packages

Joe_Carrick

This video demonstrates 3 of my Area Analysis Macro Packages.

1.  Building Areas ($100 USD)

2.  Site Areas ($75 USD)

3.  Roof Plane Areas ($35 USD)

For each of these packages there is a macro that is placed in the Label of the object that accumulates the areas and stores the data in Ruby Global variables.  In addition, there are a set of macros to calculate and display the data in Text Boxes or in the Objects' Label.

If at any time the model is changed, the data will automatically be updated to reflect those changes in both the Plan and Layout.

http://screencast.com/t/fDqTIdWZw1

Nice one Joe,

I cannot get your video to play smoothly, maybe bad conductivity at the moment.

I like what you did a lot.

Any discount if i get all three, or maybe you have more?

I use the material list quite a bit i think your macros would be a great help.

George,

I do have some more and I do have some that are closely related and will be offered with discounts as a group.  Right now, I need to do a bit more on the documentation/instructions.  

In addition there are some things I've not yet tested to make sure they work with both Imperial and Metric Plans.  It will take me a couple of days to do that.  I have the areas and floor numbers worked out for Imperial units but I need to check those things to make sure they work properly for Metric Units. Chief uses mm and sq.mm. for dimensional values.  In almost all cases those need to me converted to m² and m.  Since Chief doesn't provide an attribute for floor_number I have to calculate that based on the floor_elevation.  For Imperial Units I use an average floor-to-floor height of 100 inches.  I would assume that for Metric Units the average would be about 3000 mm (3 meters).

Let me know if I should use a different number.

Joe,

I would be interested to see how you macros handle those complicated floor level situations like complicated split and multilevel houses.

As you know we can draw a room on one floor and assign it a floor level that equates its height the equivalent of drawing it on another floor.

If your macros are only recognizing areas by a certain height increment, will they be able to cope with those sorts of situations?

Or will they only work with standard type floor levels.

Ie, it sounds like your macros will find and total floor levels within fixed 3M high levels?

Glenn,

Currently that's the case.  I've asked CA to add the attribute floor_number to Rooms, Doors, Windows, Cabinets, Roof Planes, etc.  That attribute already exists for Walls and I was told at the UGM to let them know what additional attributes and global variables should be added.  That was my #1 item but there are several others I've requested.  Hopefully we'll get them in X8.

The example you gave (a room on the 1st floor with a floor elevation equal to that of the 2nd floor) would in fact evaluate to floor #2.  That's not ideal but it would be an unlikely condition.  IAE, until CA provides floor_number as an attribute for Rooms, etc it's the best I've been able to figure out.

I have a few users in Australia and New Zealand who are interested in some of the macro packages.  I am working on the things that need to be different for metric than for imperial units.  I don't want to send anything out until I've made sure the results are correct for both sets of units.

It might take an extra day or two - please be patient.

top plate stud heights in NZ (metric) can typically be 2.42m, 2.57m, 2.70m, 3.00m, 3.60m, with flat or raking ceilings onto usually trusses but quite often rafters.

we also get parallel chord trusses that can be flat or raking laid either across or along the building.

our floors are more often than not monolithic slab but can be subfloor

we quite often have split and multi level floors

Bernie,

The floor to floor heights in the US are not dis-similar to what you use.  My macros just use an expected average which should be good for up to about 10 floors.  If I can get CA to put in a floor_number attribute for rooms then it won't matter.  Until then, we'll see if I need to adjust the formula.

What do you want as a separator between sq.m and sq.mm?

separator = decimal point "."

its usually written 134.5 m2 or 78.9 m2.

very roughly speaking, 1000 square feet is 100 square metre house. so 1800 ft sq = 180m2 house. 3000 ft sq = 300m2 building, etc.

What number of places do you want for sq.mm?

1/10ths of units is fine?

not required, as, only time we would ever use sq mm would be to work out cross sectional area of gutters (manual calculation anyway

would never use mm2 in floorplan areas.

use square metres only to 1-2 decimal places.

e.g. 305.1 m2, 234.6 m2