Stream of stuff from wendy

WendyatArtform

Curt, this isn't an issue of a specific font, it is a checkbox in Chief.

It appears that when unchecked the text actually becomes about 2/3 the size.  I just leave it checked.  When I specify 6" text I want it to be 1/8", not 1/12".  Apparently un-checked it translates to some typeface size - pixels or points are something.......???

Joe:

Thanks for looking into that for us. I appreciate it. Not sure if I will change what I am doing now based upon your research. I have toyed with the idea of changing to Arial several times over the years but I like the "draftsman hand-drawn look" of CB.

Thanks Wendy , great videos , appreciate you putting in the Time to do those, I picked up a new Annotation Set and some nice Tips too,  like how useful Alt-Q really is....

For someone who claims not to be a good trainer , those are excellent , you obviously enjoy what you do, and  can tell you do with a smile on your face,

unlike some of Chief's Own Trainers ....... I certainly haven't watched  20 for their Vids in a row !     :)

Mick.

edit : as Rich pointed out ...definitely worth a point or 3 , thx.

Alt-Q tool is very important to me. I use it all the time. So many people don't really even know of this tool and how helpful it can be.

CAD scaling is a departure from normal font scaling. What it does is to scale the text such the letter A is the height that you desire when measured from the bottom of the letter (baseline) to the top of the letter. Normal scaling goes from the baseline to the ascent which is often, but not always above the top of the A. This varies greatly depending on the font so is a very confusing topic. This sort of scaling is what most people who came from a hand drafting background would use. However, it is not at all like what someone coming from a background of publishing would use. Most people who use Chief probably want the CAD scaling, but we do offer the other option if that is your preference. It is much harder to get different fonts to look the same size if you are not using CAD scaling.

CAD scaling is a departure from normal font scaling. What it does is to scale the text such the letter A is the height that you desire when measured from the bottom of the letter (baseline) to the top of the letter. Normal scaling goes from the baseline to the ascent which is often, but not always above the top of the A. This varies greatly depending on the font so is a very confusing topic. This sort of scaling is what most people who came from a hand drafting background would use. However, it is not at all like what someone coming from a background of publishing would use. Most people who use Chief probably want the CAD scaling, but we do offer the other option if that is your preference. It is much harder to get different fonts to look the same size if you are not using CAD scaling.

Thanks for 'splainin'  

I do think it's good to have both options.  For instance, we use Chief for any graphic layouts!  Hey, it's the tool I know.  ;-)

As with many things, know how something really works can make all the difference.

Joe,

If you write in all caps in your CAD docs, then CAD styling is fine. If you use upper/lower case, as I do, then some fonts look terrible with a line spacing imposed by the CAD program, especially if you are using large blocks of text like specifications, and in fact, the program may cut off the bottom of the descenders.

Richard,

I understand.  All my specifications are done outside of Chief using other apps.  General Notes and almost all other text in my Plans/Layouts are all caps.  I will take a look at any cases where I'm lower case text and may uncheck that box in those RTB's