Newel Posts on First Tread

CEC123

Thanks, Rob.

It looks like I'll have to do the same things you've been doing to get a stairway that actually renders as it should.

I'm not at all opposed to the extra work, and CA X6 is truly great software that really makes this job so much easier and faster to do.  It's just frustrating that this is a well-known glitch that apparently has not yet attracted any attention from the coders at CA, who I'm sure are quite busy with weightier matters.  So, onward and upward we go.

Cheers!

Russ

Also, in my region, the railing assembly would be built on top of a sloped wall that would be framed to match a closed stair stringer. Chief doesn't do that.

Rob,

This just came up at the UGM.

You could try using an invisible ramp with the rail you want and then place it on top of your sloped wall.

glennw: I like that ramp idea. never though of that before; I'll give it a try!

Russ: My typical approach is to make sure that the framing, stairs, landings are finalized. Then, in a section view, I draw a CAD line along the nosings, and replicate it vertically for each rail and convert those line into 3D molding polylines to get exact appearances correct. I'll place one spindle and replicate it on the correct coordinates after I've calculated the spacing. The key is to keep adding every custom made molding to your library so it's easily available for any plan. Is that in any way similar to what you'd do? Or anyone esle, for that matter?

They also talked about my method I showed above about converting the rail to a symbol and putting it on top of a solid railing...

This is my preferred method.  I did a vid on this awhile ago,  the only variation was I used a wall with height edited in elevation vs a solid railing wall.  Solid railing wall is the way to go......  except......  as Glenn said,  Glenn's ramp method may be even more viable...  not sure......  I will try a vid on the ramp method when I have time unless someone beats me to the vid.

So:  I think there are two good methods:

1-  railing symbol on a solid railing wall ala Jona-Thank  or

2- railing on ramp per Glenn's method.......  (hmmmmmm,  can we have a flat ramp?  Thinking about the railing on solid railing wall around intermediate landing of stairs)

Also, in my region, the railing assembly would be built on top of a sloped wall that would be framed to match a closed stair stringer. Chief doesn't do that.

We do this a lot in our area, especially for builders who are building spec houses and don't want to spend the extra $ to do a full railing system. Always requires a workaround, especially in 3D. That being said, I know some of you stair gurus will surely chime in and show us how to do it; and easy. :)

Mike

Rob,

This just came up at the UGM.

You could try using an invisible ramp with the rail you want and then place it on top of your sloped wall.

Glenn, showing my ignorance of the program I guess (on stairs at least). Can you have an invisible ramp with a visible railing? Different layers maybe?

Mike

Glenn, showing my ignorance of the program I guess (on stairs at least). Can you have an invisible ramp with a visible railing? Different layers maybe?

Mike

No, but you can use a "Transparent" material for the Ramp.  Or you could simply make the Ramp "Drywall".post-47-0-06088000-1441901975_thumb.jpg

You might need to use another ramp without a railing in order to center the railing.  It's not elegant, but it works.

Another option would be to use a "Railing" (whatever style you want) and set it to "Follow Stairs" but put it on top of the "Ramp, not the Stairs"  That way you can center it.  A "Panel" railing would probably be the best choice.

No, but you can use a "Transparent" material for the Ramp.  Or you could simply make the Ramp "Drywall".attachicon.gifRailing on Thin Ramp.JPG

You might need to use another ramp without a railing in order to center the railing.  It's not elegant, but it works.

Another option would be to use a "Railing" (whatever style you want) and set it to "Follow Stairs" but put it on top of the "Ramp, not the Stairs"  That way you can center it.  A "Panel" railing would probably be the best choice.

Thanks, Joe. Much easier than what I have been doing. Scott's symbol technique works OK too.

Mike

The Ramp technique was posted in the Tips Forum a while back by Yusef, there is a video and a plan file  , the ramps are hidden on the Z Layer which is off if you look at the plan.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/5306-deck-railing-post-fascia-mount-tip/?hl=%2Bramps+%2Blayer#entry46363

Thanks Mick, that is very important thread, you pointed out for any one needs to learn it.

• 2 months later...

How about using the stair railing, and just adding newels separately?

1. Overlay a newel on top of the stair newel, make sure the stair newel is the same style and size.

2. Make the stair newel transparent (opening No material)

Now the railings are auto generated correctly, and the newels look right.

If you want the railings to drop on a flat surface, then add a ramp and choose no bottom rail on the stairs. 

Stairs with newel On 1st tread