Stairwell open below is not visible from the second floor

nuficek

Go to solution Solved by nuficek,

Hi,

I have a problem when I build circular stairs from the library from the 1st floor and then create opened below stairwell with railing on the 2nd floor. I can't see the hole on the 2nd floor. I can see it on the 1st floor but not on the 2nd floor.

I also tried to copy and place the stairwell to the other position on the 2nd floor and there is no problem.

I also found when I copy and place the stairwell in the same room the stairwell over the circular stairs suddenly becomes open below. Is this some bug or am I doing anything wrong?

Please help :(

post-7457-0-50375500-1441313461_thumb.jpg

post-7457-0-00573500-1441313463_thumb.jpg

post-7457-0-37676600-1441313464_thumb.jpg

post-7457-0-12337300-1441313466_thumb.jpg

post-7457-0-59074500-1441313467_thumb.jpg

There's a couple of threads on circular stairs that were posted earlier this year that you should review.  Included were at least a couple of good videos by other users on creating circular stairs.  Do a search and you should be able to find them.

Thank you for the suggestions. I've already searched and watched the videos. But I'm still wondering what is wrong with my plan. I guess I did everything correctly so it should work. I would appreciate if you can have a look to my plan and tell me where I made a mistake.

You cannot see it because it is a symbol on first floor.  Two options,  put another symbol on second floor or use ref sets to show stairs on first floor,  second option is my preferred option.

I tried both options but it doesn't solve the problem. I just don't understand why I can't see through the floor in the "Perspective Floor Overview" on the second floor. When I copy or move the stairwell to the other place in the 2nd floor there is no problem. I can see through the floor to the 1st floor. But when it's placed over the stairs the floor doesn't disappear.

You were very close to having it right ... just needed to monkey around with it a bit more:

attachicon.gifStairsOpenBelow.JPG     attachicon.gifStairOpening-Plan.JPG

Here's the dbx:

attachicon.gifStairOpening-RoomSpec.JPG

Hope that helps.

Curtis,  I believe he was wondering why he does not see his stairs that are located on first floor when looking at second floor.  If I look at your picture,  I still can not see the spiral stairs that are located on first floor when viewing the second floor.

I gave him two options,   and Joe Carrick gave him a third option,  he says none of those options work for him,  I do not understand why none of those options do not work for him.  

Scott,

As I see it, the OP was asking why they didn't show on the second floor in both 2D and 3D - or in one or the other, etc.

This is a 2 fold problem with the "Spiral Stair Symbols".

1.  This type of Symbol doesn't cut a hole in the floor for the "Stairway".  That has to be done via a Room "Open Below". 

2.  It will still not show the 2D Block on the Second Floor because the symbol is on the 1st floor so either your method or mine would be needed for the 2D Plan.

3.  The Spiral Stair 3D Symbol on the first 1st floor would need to be the correct height and "Show Floor Below" would need to be ON in order for the display to be right in 3D.

If the question isn't 100% clear then the answers we give might not be 100% either.

If the question isn't 100% clear then the answers we give might not be 100% either.

Good point Joe,  I only checked in plan view,  you are correct,  he did not even create a hole for the stairs so he could see in 3D....  I suppose this is what CJ was responding to.

My bad,  I should of checked for both 2d and 3d.

Scott:

My 3D floor overview was of the stair opening on the 2nd floor; and you can see through the floor at the stairs symbol on the 1st floor. Here's another view of the stairs looking at the 2nd floor in a floor overview:

post-191-0-73027900-1441393430_thumb.jpg

And here's a full camera view of the stairs and the manually created opening by the OP taken on the 1st floor:

post-191-0-21032900-1441393524_thumb.jpg

The only thing I did differently is changed the 2nd floor open below room connection to the larger room's wall; and I made a slight change in the dbx so that open below was used twice, i.e., checked for "Use Room Type".

I agree with most that using a spiral stairs symbol (from Chief) has somewhat limited use. Hopefully, when Dermot and the rest of his crew are done with the stairs tools revamp, maybe we will be able to do some of these things much better.

How's the User Group meeting going. I looked on Facebook and didn't see your mug shot in any of the posted photos, unless you are wearing a disguise.

Would have liked to have been there but the wildfire that came within inches of destroying our home has kept me tied down here. The danger seems to be over now for us, but there are at least 60 families without homes now and one woman lost her life due to the fire activity. Hope you're getting a lot accomplished with the group and look forward to hearing about the good stuff you have to report on.

......I looked on Facebook and didn't see your mug shot in any of the posted photos,.....

Absolutely amazing,  I did my best  to photo bomb many pics,  but the only one of me was the back of my balding head.  They got Wendy Welton,  Mon Cherie  (many times),  heck,  they even got Joe Carrick's mug multiple times,  I saw the Great Glenn Woodward and many more folks,  but no facials of me....  I think there was a memo that was passed around in regards to avoiding the Troll .......

BTW,  the UGM was great,  sorry you missed it,  I think you would of enjoyed meeting all of the  folks.

Curt,

We are not supposed to reveal (NDA) anything presented at the UGM regarding X8.  There are some really nice new features in the works and most of them are pretty close to being perfect.  OTOH, some of them are still being refined and you'll just have to wait until CA releases them.

Just make it clear. I can't see the stairs only in the 3D view from the 2nd floor. The room "stairwell" is open below as you can see in the first post. I know how to see the stairs in 2D view, that's no problem.

I attached a print screen where I copied the stairwell to the other place and there is no problem.

I apologize for too many questions but I'm new here.

post-7457-0-60088400-1441395097_thumb.jpg

Scott:

My 3D floor overview was of the stair opening on the 2nd floor; and you can see through the floor at the stairs symbol on the 1st floor. Here's another view of the stairs looking at the 2nd floor in a floor overview:

attachicon.gifStairs&Opening-2ndFloorOverviewLkgDown.JPG

And here's a full camera view of the stairs and the manually created opening by the OP taken on the 1st floor:

attachicon.gifStairs&Opening-1stFloor.JPG

The only thing I did differently is changed the 2nd floor open below room connection to the larger room's wall; and I made a slight change in the dbx so that open below was used twice, i.e., checked for "Use Room Type".

I agree with most that using a spiral stairs symbol (from Chief) has somewhat limited use. Hopefully, when Dermot and the rest of his crew are done with the stairs tools revamp, maybe we will be able to do some of these things much better.

How's the User Group meeting going. I looked on Facebook and didn't see your mug shot in any of the posted photos, unless you are wearing a disguise.

Would have liked to have been there but the wildfire that came within inches of destroying our home has kept me tied down here. The danger seems to be over now for us, but there are at least 60 families without homes now and one woman lost her life due to the fire activity. Hope you're getting a lot accomplished with the group and look forward to hearing about the good stuff you have to report on.

Could you send me changed plan, please? So I can look directly how did you do that and understand it. Thank you for your help.

Just make it clear. I can't see the stairs only in the 3D view from the 2nd floor. The room "stairwell" is open below as you can see in the first post. I know how to see the stairs in 2D view, that's no problem.

I attached a print screen where I copied the stairwell to the other place and there is no problem.

I apologize for too many questions but I'm new here.

Oh my gosh,  Nuficek is from the The Czech Republic...... are you in Prague?  

Your questions are confusing.....  you probably need to restate what you can't do......  if your only problem is you can not see stairs in a 3d floor overview and you can see the floor below in the 3d overview.....  then the only conclusion I can reach it the layer the stairs are on,  is not turned on.

Oh my gosh,  Nuficek is from the The Czech Republic...... are you in Prague?  

Your questions are confusing.....  you probably need to restate what you can't do......  if your only problem is you can not see stairs in a 3d floor overview and you can see the floor below in the 3d overview.....  then the only conclusion I can reach it the layer the stairs are on,  is not turned on.

Why oh my gosh? :) I'm from Hradec Kralove but I live in Prague now. I'm not so happy that I have to live here but what can I do.

Why oh my gosh? :) I'm from Hradec Kralove but I live in Prague now. I'm not so happy that I have to live here but what can I do.

I have a brother and sister in law who live in Prague.  Beautiful city,   they seem to like it.  We went to Czechy Krumlov several years ago,  that city is almost as unique as  Venice.  

It is interesting talking to the older and younger generations,  they seem to have opposing outlooks on the future....  the younger generation is optimistic,  the older generation are not as optomistic.

I have a brother and sister in law who live in Prague.  Beautiful city,   they seem to like it.  We went to Czechy Krumlov several years ago,  that city is almost as unique as  Venice.  

It is interesting talking to the older and younger generations,  they seem to have opposing outlooks on the future....  the younger generation is optimistic,  the older generation are not as optomistic.

what a coincidence! :) Yes, everybody loves Prague and other old cities in Europe. I travel a lot throughout the Old continent and there is a lot of beautiful old cities and nice places. I also spent 3 years in Vancouver, Canada. If I have a choice I would choose America. I was enchanted by the untouched nature of Rockies. To have a log cabin in the middle of wildness that's my dream.

But any time you will visit Prague you are very welcome and I'll show some secret places  ;)

Thanks a lot for the plan. But it looks like that it's a bug on my site. I opened your plan and switched to 3D view from the 2nd floor and it's the same (see the attachment) :(

I opened CJ's plan and I can't see the stairs either....  if  you  have a bug,  so do I,  give me a second and I will see if I can figure this out.