Angled Roof Over Stair

BryceEngstrom

So, I had a little commercial remodel where the client wanted something like this (which I am not recommending they do for a number of reasons) but it was just kind of interesting trying to get this to work.  What I can't quite figure out is why the post to beam (rail with Follow Stair checked) rebuilds way above the roof planes.  Raise or lower the roof planes, and the top of the beams follow at the same height.  No roof definition so not based on a ceiling height.  What is determining the height that the tops of the beams rebuild to?

Roof Over Stair.plan

post-67-0-18509200-1441229155_thumb.jpg

I copied all of the items to the right.

Made a "room" with invisible walls. That way you can control the height of the top beam.

Also changed the roofs so the baseline was parallel to the stair run and adjusted the baseline angle to match the stairs.  Your roof method works i just offered a different option.   

The top beam should solely be driven by the ceiling ht. of the room. 

Revised plan attached. 

Mark

Roof Over Stair2.plan

So, I had a little commercial remodel where the client wanted something like this (which I am not recommending they do for a number of reasons) but it was just kind of interesting trying to get this to work.  What I can't quite figure out is why the post to beam (rail with Follow Stair checked) rebuilds way above the roof planes.  Raise or lower the roof planes, and the top of the beams follow at the same height.  No roof definition so not based on a ceiling height.  What is determining the height that the tops of the beams rebuild to?

Messed around with it for a bit.  Not sure where it gets those default heights from.  Must be some internal thing within Chief.  If you go into the elevation and make that wall longer and shorter it does some strange things.  Without a defined room, it must be defaulting to some internal algorithm.