faux or "decorative" dormer

Sweeney

Hello all, 

Trying to manually build a floating, faux, decorative, what ever you may call it, DORMER on top of a trussed roof system. I want the gable wall of the dormer to extend up from the wall below and have the baselines and facias the same height.  Having some trouble with trimming the trusses below the floating dormer, where the existing roof line will break to accept the roofline of the floating dormer. Attached is a picture of what I am shooting for.  

Ive searched and searched for tutorials, however, have come up dry

If anyone knows of a good video tutorial or how to achieve this... lemme know!

post-6822-0-57724200-1441217214_thumb.jpg

Sweeney, have you tried adding the small roof sections manually and adjusting until it looks right? Those would probably be framed as a frame-over on site over the trusses. Add an attic wall for the gable if necessary. You might have to detail this manually in the details section. Without posting the plan it is hard to tell.

Mike

Thanks for the feed back

yes Mike, that's where I am at now, after trying to adjust the smaller manual roofs to be aligned, soffits didn't match up with each other, and the trusses would still poke thru.

Joey, I just tried what you recommended, however, when I turn on auto roofs it deletes and re builds the other manual roofs I've built... which is all of them haha

if you guys have time, I have attached the plan... feel free to have a look

don't mind the misplaced foundation - it's still in the works!

Scully September 2, 2015.plan