Lots of crashes lately. Win 10 X7

VisualDandD

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.  Have not called tech support and figured I would ask here first.

System stable under win 8.1.   Upgraded to Win 10.   Latest Nvidia drivers...etc.

Chief crashes a lot....and did not at first upgrade.   It happens when hitting "Save as", or during exports either an img or DAE file.   Sometimes it even crashes trying to open an additional plan file.   (dont think mem is an issue)

System details

I7 4790K

gtx970

24gb ram

So anyone else seeing this?

Is this repeatable behavior?  If it is, than it can be fixed.

In my case--I have a bad habit of "riding" the right mouse button on a MS 4000 Mobile Mouse--if I am working in CA while watching a movie in Chrome, and I "ride" the right mouse button, a BSOD will happen.  The error never happened until the Win 10 upgrade.  The error is directly attributable to an unstable Fresco USB 3.0 driver.  Solution for my BSOD; none, as Fresco has yet to issue updated drivers.

All the instability I've seen to date with Win 10 (15 machines in my tech universe, with 8 upgraded to Win 10) is attributable to bad/old hardware drivers or a corrupt user account.

Call TS, get them to help identify the cause.

jon

Not a Dell.   I built it myself.    Has been fine (actually great) till upgrade.

@Jcaffee    That is the thing....not repeatable at all.    I have had it happen on many different plans.   Usually precipitated by hitting "save as" or exporting something.   Like I said,,....there is no rhyme or reason.   Just seems to do it every once in a while.   I have gotten in habit of "saving" before any of those.   If it crashes, I just open it up again and do the export and it works fine.....

Hard to identify any particular "issue".

My upgrade went just fine, lost one of the monitors & sound which was pretty common from what I understand. It was easy to fix - updated video driver & uninstalled sound driver. I use some outdated mouse drivers and settings they all stayed intact.

What I have experienced is sometimes when I start chief among other programs (like chrome) they hang, and the task manager will not open to allow me to shut them down. I'm thinking definitely a windows problem. For now I am waiting to see if updates cure the problem.

I would suggest working with our support team to try to track this down.

The most likely thing  that I would suspect is some sort of third party software such as a malware scanner or something like Backup software that hooks the OS at a low level.

I would also look at making sure all of your hardware drivers are up to date.

Also make sure you have the latest update of Chief.