looking for a cad program

Briandesi

I'm hunting for a cad program that I can work with my chief files in dwg form. I currently use turbocad designer 19, but I would like to have the ability to purge the file of unused layers. I would love to avoid purchasing the full auto cad, unless someone has an older version they would like to sell. If it is possible I would like to find a program that is also a one time sale, and not a yearly license.

Thanks for your help!

My biggest problem with the turbo cad designer is the fact that you have to go out of your way to save the file as a Dwg. If you simply perform a save, the program saves the file as a turbocad drawing, instead of a Dwg, which causes all kinds of problems.

Does Designcad naturally save the file as a dwg? Do you know if it has a purge feature?

I could be wrong, but I think DWG is a proprietary file extension. I don't think you'll find any non-AutoDesk products that will automatically save as DWG.

I believe DraftSight DOES offer a purge tool though and for what it's worth, it was actually AutoCAD users who

recommended DraftSight to me a while back as a nearly identical AutoCad clone.

Michael,

Not only will MicroStation save as a dwg but it will allow you to work in the dwg mode.  You can open, modify and close a dwg file and it is not ever changed from the original file format.  You can even change the work process to allow AutoCAD users the option to work in a mimic mode where it looks like you are in AutoCAD.  

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hunting for a cad program that I can work with my chief files in dwg form. I currently use turbocad designer 19, but I would like to have the ability to purge the file of unused layers. I would love to avoid purchasing the full auto cad, unless someone has an older version they would like to sell. If it is possible I would like to find a program that is also a one time sale, and not a yearly license.

Thanks for your help!

i would suggest versacad, CA, company. I've been using it since 1983 great for cad. FAST, FAST. FASTEST. Years ago someone had a cad shootout and an Aussie won every year using VCAD.