Foundation wall - Garage to house sill height offset

Canuck

Hey Folks:

Normally I wouldn't be concerned about this but I'm doing a house where the top of foundation on the garage is 2 1/2" lower than the house. This is causing an issue because our building code only allows a maximum 10'-0" wall stud height without the house going to an engineer. So I'm trying to take the height of the stud wall from 10'-2 1/2" to 10'-0" by raising the foundation wall on the foundation equal to the sill height of the house. A helping hand figuring out how to adjust the foundation sill would be appreciated.

Is that BC Bldg. Code Richard? We (in Sask.) can go to 14' before it is a Tall Wall that req's Engineering. Good to know if I do something out there before checking with my Inspector friend.

BTW Everyone is going to tell you to post the plan:-)

LOL - Ya, I know Sherry, but this is a simple question of setting two areas with different fdn sill heights into one height. What the house looks like is meaningless. BC Building Code - Yes, in a seismic area, Part 9 requires any wall over 3m (10'-0") to be handled by an engineer....

Is that BC Bldg. Code Richard? We (in Sask.) can go to 14' before it is a Tall Wall that req's Engineering. Good to know if I do something out there before checking with my Inspector friend.

BTW Everyone is going to tell you to post the plan:-)

Mon Cherie is right again, post the plan..... Or don't

Hey Folks:

Normally I wouldn't be concerned about this but I'm doing a house where the top of foundation on the garage is 2 1/2" lower than the house. This is causing an issue because our building code only allows a maximum 10'-0" wall stud height without the house going to an engineer. So I'm trying to take the height of the stud wall from 10'-2 1/2" to 10'-0" by raising the foundation wall on the foundation equal to the sill height of the house. A helping hand figuring out how to adjust the foundation sill would be appreciated.

I am not quite sure what you are asking , do you want the foundation the same as the  house , or do  you want fascia's lines too match ? Etc.  much easier with at least a few picks.... or the plan... both even.

M.

Mick, just the foundation sill heights the same in the garage as they are on the house. There must be a way to raise the sill heights so they are even.

And I can't post the plan. The contractor I'm doing the work for doesn't want to see their plans elsewhere. He's paranoid, but he pays well.

Thank so much Humble Chief. That's the issue...although I had to adjust to -11 5/8" to get it to adjust to the right height....I normally don't worry about the issue, just stud it up and let the engineer deal with the height of the studs for a tall wall condition in an earthquake zone.

Stem wall...another one of those cross-border names. We refer to them as foundations, and the top of such item as a fdn sill height. I knew the CA name for it but it didn't register...I'll admit openly it's time for a vacation.

Sherry, you ever decide to retire out here, just let me know. I will introduce you to some realtors that know how to find quality land at good prices. Just don't forget your earthquake kit!

Shane - Thank you, but HC got me on the right track.

What an awesome resource to have. I hope one day to know enough that I can pay it forward. :)

Ok , I guess you changed the garage Stemwall height at some point ? I did a simple test like Larry, and  the two stemwalls were always equal in Height, which is why I asked if I understood the OP correctly.... 

post-315-0-77811200-1440788349_thumb.jpg

Mon Cherie is right again, post the plan..... Or don't

Scott (or should I say "Ms. Hall"?), maybe you could do Sherry the courtesy of using the feminine form of mon, i.e."ma." Ma Cherie (feminine form) or Mon Cheri (masculine), and yes, I realize that Cherie gets an accent over the first "e" which I'm too lazy to look for on the keyboard. Having gone to school in France, mixing genders like this is grating, which just shows that Sherry is far more polite than I am to not even bring it up. ;-)

Once Scott meets me reality will hit and I will become Country again. Quebec is a couple provinces away and I originated from the other side of the country even though French was a required class in school.

To be honest it is a better "name" than others I have heard or seen.